Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SP-01 tactical for production

elenius

I am thinking of getting a new gun, and I am looking into the CZs. The SP-01 Shadow is not on the infamous CA list, but I kind of like the idea of having a decocker anyway, so I am looking at the SP-01 tactical. This version comes with the firing pin block. The Shadow doesn't, and a good trigger job involves removing it, as I understand it. Now, my question is, will the Tactical be Production-legal if I remove it? It's normally not allowed to remove safety features, right?

ETA: The rules say that removing "external safeties" is not allowed. On the other hand, removing a firing pin safety is not listed under the "authorized modifications (strictly limited to these items and their stated guidelines".

Edited by elenius

Current USPSA production rules say under the prohibited modifications and features: Disabling of any external safety or externally operated safety.

so under that rule..you would be able to out the FPB since it is an internal device.

it is possible to get a really nice trigger with the FPB still inside. the parts need to be polished well, the springs need a little tweak..and you can get a DA pull in the 5.5# range with no feeling of the FPB. it just takes a little work to get it nice.

Edited by eerw

Current USPSA production rules say under the prohibited modifications and features: Disabling of any external safety or externally operated safety.

so under that rule..you would be able to out the FPB since it is an internal device.

it is possible to get a really nice trigger with the FPB still inside. the parts need to be polished well, the springs need a little tweak..and you can get a DA pull in the 5.5# range with no feeling of the FPB. it just takes a little work to get it nice.

Are there any differences in how nice you can get the trigger pull on the decocker versions vs the manual safety versions?

the manual safety version is a lot easier to work on and get apart... and the custom shop hammer needs some modification to work in the decocker.

but using just the factory parts..you can get a nice set up..

on the decocker I had..I was able to get the DA to 6.5 with the FPB in, and to 6# without it..and the SA to 2.5# using the factory hammer and sear.

The FPB also adversely affects the reset characteristics of the trigger - makes the reset 75-100% longer, typically.

it does indeed..that is another reason why it is taken out..or shooters end up going with the Shadow or CZ85Combat

Edited by eerw

The FPB also adversely affects the reset characteristics of the trigger - makes the reset 75-100% longer, typically.

it does indeed..that is another reason why it is taken out..or shooters end up going with the Shadow or CZ85Combat

And if you are a dummy like me, have Matt Mink build it from the start,

fantastic guy to work with/buy from!

And if you are a dummy like me, have Matt Mink build it from the start,

fantastic guy to work with/buy from!

+1 on Matt..he is great guy to set up a CZ..

• 2 weeks later...

Send your SP-01 to Randy Lee at Apex Tactical in San Louis Obispo. He does really good work on these. I have shot his personal gun that he uses for Production and the DA pull was so light I couldn't believe it was possible. Very nice guns and really nice work by him.