Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Indoor Stage Ideas

Franklin D Wolverton

I'm out of ideas. Our range is 75' x about 20', with six open shooting positions (we have two of these). Our BOD only allows us to go 5 feet in front of the shooting line.

I'm out of ideas for stages. Anybody? Please help.

Frank

Got a TX star? or is that too close...

Can you (and if so, how) shoot steel indoors? I figure that the bullet has to go somewhere and even if you angle the surface down a little, it still might bounce back up into the lights / ceiling.

Indoor steel is no problem. We shot steel for years at the old Shooters Paradise match in Woodbridge, VA with very few problems.

True - if you put it right under a light, you will shoot out bulbs. But a simple solution is either re-position it, or simply put it on the floor and place an old table over it to catch any fragments that go vertical. BTW, most of the fragments travel 90 degrees to the face of the steel (provided the steel is in good condition). Most indoor ranges have overhead angled steel baffles that can withstand fragments.

Franklin,

We hold IDPA matches indoors every month. I am not quite sure what you are asking for. You can Google IDPA COF and get literally 100s of courses of fire that other people have already designed for you. Many can be adapted to physical dimensions that you described. Our range is also 75 feet deep, but wider than 20 feet. We are able to set up two courses of fires in the range. After we have shot those courses we take them down and set up another one. Hope this helps.

Jim

Can you (and if so, how) shoot steel indoors? I figure that the bullet has to go somewhere and even if you angle the surface down a little, it still might bounce back up into the lights / ceiling.

As for steel... Not at our range we can't. New range (just open 1 year), and the BOD is still extremely protective. :rolleyes:

Basically what I'm looking for is some decent ideas for an indoor COF for a USPSA match (paper targets only). Usually what I do is have them shoot stage 1 on the first bay, stage 2 on the second bay, and then stage 3 is the first two stages combined.

I've got a match coming up next weekend (the 25th) and for the first time in my life, I have "stage designers block"... (I really hate shooting indoors... that's probably what it is).

Frank

IMA45DV8 and boz1911 shoot with the best indoor range stage designer I've ever met. Shoot either of them a pm. Maybe they can help.

Your right, his name is Larry Turner, also the designer for the Area 6 matches. You might PM him, LT45, and see what he might do for you. He has 100's of stage designs catalogued. I bet he wouldn't mind sharing at all.

Frank... you can walk downrange right? Not just 5 feet from the point..

Nope... that's the problem. We can only go downrange to score. While actively engaging, only 5 feet in front. We are, however, allowed to move within those boundaries.

Basically an 8 foot front and back, and across the range.

The shooting slot fronts can be dropped down to allow access to the range.

Unfortunately it sounds like you end up with a lot of standard exercises. I run a bunch of matches on our indoor range, but don't have the restrictions you do. SOme ides would be to add different barricades and things to shoot around/over/undr/thru to help with some variety.

Unfortunately it sounds like you end up with a lot of standard exercises. I run a bunch of matches on our indoor range, but don't have the restrictions you do. SOme ides would be to add different barricades and things to shoot around/over/undr/thru to help with some variety.

That's pretty much what I've been doing. I've been thinking of using old bedsheets from the target runners for vision barriers.

Usually I do 1 standard, and 2 comstocks. I think I found a couple classifiers I can fit in a bay, so I'm going to try that.

Luckily, I only have to deal with it for a couple more months. I told the BOD that we won't be using the indoor range anymore after February. We'll be outdoors or nothing. I can deal with the cold, but if we get to much snow, we can't get to the outdoor ranges. :cheers:

I figured out the stages for this month... next month should be interesting. I've got a few ideas... I think I'm over my "stage designers block."

Frank

I banged this out in about 10mins. It calls for tall target sticks so you can mount one about the other,. You may not need all the walls, but I wanted you to see where I was going. Once you figure out how to do it . If there are height issues you can set the target horiz or on angles. The one panel is a shoot through so snow-fence or move it slightly.

stage.jpg

Edited by JThompson

• 2 weeks later...

That's pretty much what I've been doing. I've been thinking of using old bedsheets from the target runners for vision barriers.

Usually I do 1 standard, and 2 comstocks. I think I found a couple classifiers I can fit in a bay, so I'm going to try that.

Luckily, I only have to deal with it for a couple more months. I told the BOD that we won't be using the indoor range anymore after February. We'll be outdoors or nothing. I can deal with the cold, but if we get to much snow, we can't get to the outdoor ranges. :cheers:

I figured out the stages for this month... next month should be interesting. I've got a few ideas... I think I'm over my "stage designers block."

Frank

Some guys at another club get used hospital curtains. The ones they use to separate patients in rooms. They run them down the length of the range to add vision barriers. Good Luck though. Too bad the BOD won't bend a little bit. Matches bring a lot of exposure to clubs.

Matt

Edited by gemcityshooter

IMA45DV8 and boz1911 shoot with the best indoor range stage designer I've ever met. Shoot either of them a pm. Maybe they can help.

Your right, his name is Larry Turner, also the designer for the Area 6 matches. You might PM him, LT45, and see what he might do for you. He has 100's of stage designs cataloged. I bet he wouldn't mind sharing at all.

Goto http://georgiaipsc.com/index.php/category/...e-descriptions/ for LOTS of Larry Turner stages, both indoor and out.

We run two indoor matches a month. Similar situation as to width and length, although we are allowed to move forward of the firing line. Can you set targets back off the backstop or do your targets all have to be at the far end of the range?

We generally set up 2-3 arrays and specify where they MUST be shot from. We use this match for practicing odd starts, seated, lying on an lounge, table and box pick-ups unloaded and so on.

Essentially shoot 3 from here, move across range, OK to engage these two while traveling and then engage the last 2-3 from location. What we make sure of is that all rounds impact into the backstop. Low targets require shooting through a low port, or under a bar so that the rounds don't skip off the floor. Basic common sense.

Our first two stages are generally 18 rounds and 16 rounds, then if we get started early, we run two more also 18 and 16. Or if we get a late kick-off or a lot of people, we run two sets of 3-4 targets such as El-Prez or a modified can you count. 6, reload 6 reload 6 weakhand. or 6 reload 6 strong hand on T1-T2, then on T3-T4 6 reload 6 weakhand. Just mix up basic skill drills.

This is also where we try to get all our new shooters to show up and walk through a couple matches before we take them outside to a full match.

I'd send drawings, but for this match we haven't drawn a stage in years. we just run variation on the above themes

Jim