Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Hawaii state match questions

Mattog22

I am coming to Hawaii for vacation during the state match in Maui. I am trying to figure out what I need to do to participate and what is the best way to get to the match from Oahu where I will be staying. I know there is a law that I can only have 10 rd mags and I will have to register the firearm on Monday(3/16) since I will be getting in late on Friday(3/13) afternoon. Any pointers or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Also, just as info I plan on just shooting production. Thanks in advance

Matt

The family is thinking about a trip to Maui in March. I was thinking about bringing along a pistol to shoot one of the Sunday matches in Wailuku, but I didn't realize that I would have to register my firearm. Is this true? If so, I'll probably drop the idea. Thanks!

The family is thinking about a trip to Maui in March. I was thinking about bringing along a pistol to shoot one of the Sunday matches in Wailuku, but I didn't realize that I would have to register my firearm. Is this true? If so, I'll probably drop the idea. Thanks!

From what I gathered you have 72 hours once you enter Hawaii to register your gun. I think I am still going to do it because I would like to shoot a match there. 10 round mags only.

If/when you register your pistol, don't bring the mags. Only the pistol needs to be registered, not the mags ;)

By Hawaii law, if you bring a firearm into the state, you have 72 hours to register it. Clock starts when whatever arrives last (you or the firearm).

It's a pita but you only need to do it once (photo and fingerprint).

Let me know if you need help, I think I still remember how to fingerprint and photo someone :D

• 2 months later...

Well, I shot the match and had a great time. Everything went relatively smooth with the airlines and car rentals. I would like to make it again sometime in the future, maybe I can tell the wife I'm going to Hawaii to shoot a match and she can go if she wants. I want to thank everyone there for putting on a great match and being so hospitable, and a special thanks to Ray and Everett for their help getting me all the info I needed to get there. Thanks guys.

Matt

P.S. Since I'm staying until Friday I went to register my gun just to be on the safe side. I went at 10:00 Monday morning and there was still a wait. I thought my wife was going to kill me sitting in the station for about an hour while I got it all done. Had to go all the way to Honolulu because that's the only place on Oahu the police do gun registration. PITA but it was worth it to shoot the match.

Matt,

Glad to hear you had a good time shooting.

You can tell everyone you even got a suntan in the rain :roflol:

Now that your gun is registered, you can bring it back anytime and shoot with us.

C-ya,

barry B)

Matt

it was a pleasure meet you, you flew all the way here to shoot in the rain for 2 days :rolleyes:, I hope it didn't make you home sick. :lol:

send me your e-mail address and I'll foward the results to you

Ray

Hey Ray,

If you send him the match results you might want to recheck the attachments...mine were all gobbldeygook.

Gino

Yea, even with the rain it was still a good time, and no it wasn't my honeymoon. If I pulled off leaving the wife for the first 2 days of my honeymoon I would be the man. Just a vacation and I'm still surprised I pulled it off. Thanks again to everyone I shot with and no need to send me the match results, I already received them from Everett. I got eventually got them to open up OK. I might try to make it to at least a local match if not the state match when I visit again. This time I will try to book a resort on the same island as the match. I just got home yesterday, the weather isn't quite as nice here.

Matt

Edited by Mattog22