Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ultra cheap open

bikerburgess

I am thinking about building a open gun on the cheap.

G20 I allready have gun and 140mm 21rd mags $0

lone wolf 4 port 6" barrel $130

aimtech scope base $58

tasco propoint 30mm 10moa dot $90

total investment $278

other option

use lonewolf threded barrel $115 and compensator(odd looking one) $55

total investment $318

what do you guys think?

I am thinking about building a open gun on the cheap.

G20 I allready have gun and 140mm 21rd mags $0

lone wolf 4 port 6" barrel $130

aimtech scope base $58

tasco propoint 30mm 10moa dot $90

total investment $278

other option

use lonewolf threded barrel $115 and compensator(odd looking one) $55

total investment $318

what do you guys think?

You get what you pay for..but I would suggest to put a better scope or dot.

best choice would be Jpoint or Cmore..all other equipt should hold out ok.

Trust me, it sucks when your equiptment fails while you are having fun!

Cheap? Yes

Fun to shoot in open? Yes

Competative? Doubtful (IMHO)

I would add atleast a competition trigger job. You can do it yourself on the cheap or buy one from any of several vendors currently (Lonewolf, GlockWorx, Vanek, etc.) making very good trigger groups (~$150-250).

For optics, JPoint and Burris on the slide are, in my experience, the best low-cost way to do. They will cost you ~$200-250 with a mount that fits the rear sight-cut. Most competative open Glock shooters have the slide cut to lower the sight closer to the top of the slide or go with C-more frame mounts.

If you want to compete in open, you going to need utilize more of the latest developments for open Glocks. You will have fun with your setup, but may find it frustrating if you want win with your setup.

I started shooting Glock open in .40 on the cheap with a G22.....ended up spending close to $1K on that gun. My second, and final, open Glock was a G24 in 9mm that cost me closer to $1400 to build. Now I shoot an STI and plan to spend close to $3K for my next gun.

Consider the TASCO Propoint to be perishable. I prefer tube dots over the cmore or jpoint style dots. I started in open with TASCO dots and went through 4 of them before I finally gave up and switched to Aimpoint tube dots. In my experience with major loads the TASCOs will all fail after 3K-4K rounds at the most. Aimpoints are solid and the quality of the optics and erectors are much better. Used Aimpoints run $150 or so and are well worth the extra money.

Consider the TASCO Propoint to be perishable. I prefer tube dots over the cmore or jpoint style dots. I started in open with TASCO dots and went through 4 of them before I finally gave up and switched to Aimpoint tube dots. In my experience with major loads the TASCOs will all fail after 3K-4K rounds at the most. Aimpoints are solid and the quality of the optics and erectors are much better. Used Aimpoints run $150 or so and are well worth the extra money.

AImpoint for $150.00?? wow!! where? more like $350.00 and up!

You have to build it to see if it works!

I've been experimenting with glock open 9 for the past year and half.

Thanks to the plethora of drop in parts, you can try so many combinations

to deal with the problems after you build it.

Good luck!

Tasco ProPoints are like the weather-variable. I have a couple of Tascos, PDP3 and PDP5, that have many thousands of rounds on them. My Para 9X23 has 75k rd with a PDP5 (I think that is what it is. It has the 4 different dot sizes). It has never given me any trouble.

My good buddy and forum member "dwt" has lots of time in with the G20 and playing with it in open.

He has been through a handful of the slide ride dots. They all fail. Further, many only come with a 4 minute dot...too small.

Which Aimtech mount are you looking at? The Tiger Shark (with the attachment point back by the backstrap) is universally disliked because it digs into the hand. I've never used one to know. The other one is more of a saddle type that uses the light rail. I have used one of those a bit on my G34. Mine eventually bent the cheap screws that come with it. So, replace those right off.

Would you run it in 10mm or 40S&W ? If 10mm, then why not go with 38 Super Comp or 9x23. That will probably get you 2-3 extra rounds in those 140mm base pads...which, to me, is just enough capacity.

G20 for an open rocks...if you have some fun with it.

Bar-Sto has a G-20 replacement barrel in....9x25! That's what I'm talkin' about!!!

Did this build for a friend and ran like a scalded cat. LOUD is an understatement but it was flat. We used the Tigershark at the time just to be abnoxious but now uses a SJC and C-More.

Gotta find out how to get a hold of him again.

Rich

My good buddy and forum member "dwt" has lots of time in with the G20 and playing with it in open.

He has been through a handful of the slide ride dots. They all fail. Further, many only come with a 4 minute dot...too small.

Which Aimtech mount are you looking at? The Tiger Shark (with the attachment point back by the backstrap) is universally disliked because it digs into the hand. I've never used one to know. The other one is more of a saddle type that uses the light rail. I have used one of those a bit on my G34. Mine eventually bent the cheap screws that come with it. So, replace those right off.

Would you run it in 10mm or 40S&W ? If 10mm, then why not go with 38 Super Comp or 9x23. That will probably get you 2-3 extra rounds in those 140mm base pads...which, to me, is just enough capacity.

Slide-ride dots work fine depending on which design. I have 2 JPoints with 10K+ rounds without a failure. DrDots need to be bullet proofed to be reliable and there are newer designs that seem to be working well for many based on some forum postings.

As for 38S or 9x23.......we are talking GLOCK here. I was not aware of any Glock barrel options in those caliber.

Not meaning to hijack this thread.......however, why do you think a 4-min dot is too small? I run them on my Glocks (Jpoints) and STIs (C-more) and love them. Dot size is very subjective. I know most people like 6-7min dots, but I find 6-7 min to be huge for me. OK, maybe I will start another thread on that topic.

Slide-ride dots work fine depending on which design. I have 2 JPoints with 10K+ rounds without a failure. DrDots need to be bullet proofed to be reliable and there are newer designs that seem to be working well for many based on some forum postings.

I'm not buying all the "mine works great" posts that I see. I know that folks don't come runing back on the forum to tell us their cool purchase went tits up on them.

I've seen too many of them go south.

dwt is on his 2nd or 3rd JPoint. (among other brands that have bite the dust)

As for 38S or 9x23.......we are talking GLOCK here. I was not aware of any Glock barrel options in those caliber.

I'm probably not making it up. :)

They fit in the large framed guns (10mm and 45ACP) and are reported to work well on the 10mm breech face.

Not meaning to hijack this thread.......however, why do you think a 4-min dot is too small? I run them on my Glocks (Jpoints) and STIs (C-more) and love them. Dot size is very subjective. I know most people like 6-7min dots, but I find 6-7 min to be huge for me. OK, maybe I will start another thread on that topic.

4moa dots are harder to see when going fast. They appear more dim in bright sunlight. Great for precision work.

AImpoint for $150.00?? wow!! where? more like $350.00 and up!

Never paid more than $150 for a USED Aimpoint. Do a search. Plenty have sold here for that and less recently.

I have thought about 38 super as I have 2 others (a 1911 for single stack and a witness I use for production) the rounds fit and feed out of the mags well by hand but getting a barrel turns into a custom job and the cosdt go's up

I was thinking build on the cheep see if I like then build a competative rig if I get hooked also my g20 is a first gen so no rail. has anybody ever seen a 170mm extension for a large frame glock? with the 140's I get 21 reloadable easy I think I can mod the follower and maby get 22.

Like Kyle said,I have fooled around with a Open G-20 for awhile.I had my son-in-law weld 2 Glock-20 mags together to make a 170mm big stick = 23/24 +1 ,I used a Gram's 13 coil spring and a modified follower .Works flawless.