Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Action Blaster or Brake Clean

Does anyone know if those rubbermaid type storage tubs will stand up to repeated exposure to action blaster or brake clean type chemicals?

Right now, I'm using an aluminum foil roasting pan to catch the spray when cleaning my guns. However, the action blaster sprays all over the place, especially when it hits a crevice or corner. Plus, it is a real pain to brush so that splatter doesn't hit me in the face.

I'm thinking of making a 'blasting booth' type box for cleaning parts. I thought a big plastic storage bin, with a plexiglass window, some pipe fittings and rubber kitchen gloves would work.

Anyone done this?

I use a 2 1/2 gallon bucket. Basicaly half as tall as 5 gal. Fill it half way up with Hi Dri or kitty litter with a lid. Keep it under my bench. If i don't do a lot of spraying or use the real smelly stuff i can get away with quit a bit of cleaning without taking it outside. Put the lid on when done.

That takes care of catching my mess. Nothing in place for splashing other than hold it down in the bucket.

Wear gloves. I buy the surgical gloves at WalMart in the 100 pack. There is transdermal absorbtion of those chemicals.

I am lucky enough to live in a place that I can do most of my spraying outside. I use a pyrex loaf pan for my parts. There is some splash back if I am not careful. I just put all my parts in that the spray with brake cleaner. The excess falls off the slide and frame and pools so the small parts soak in it. When I am done, one quick wipe with a shop paper towel and it is clean (no odor).

I used stainless steel for a while but I like glass much better. The clean up is easy. The pyrex stuff is thick enough that I do not worry about it breaking.

I finally purchased an air compressor, before that I used the compressed air in the cans used for cleaning computer gear.

I use heavy duty plastic gloves and spray outside into the big black trash can/dumpster that the city provided for curbside trash pickup. Compressor after that for quick drying. I use the cheap spray brake cleaner from Wally World. Lots of ventilation!

CYa,

Pat