Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 chewing my primers - all the time!

So just what is a 'chewed' primer? It has been asked a few times.

Sorry, I don't have one handy to post a picture, i'll get that by tomorrow.

Basically, it's all chewed up, mangled, broken into 2 pieces at times. I have to use a pair of tweezers at times to remove the broken primer from the primer wheel.

Still sounds like a weak bench or rough operation of the press. If a primer jumps out of the disk then the shellholder rotation will tear it up.

Mine was doing the same thing when I got it. Dillon suggested that the primer punch spring was weak and not coming up as high as it should. As a quick fix I dismantled it(tough job) and stretched the spring. This worked until Dillon sent me a new one. What was happening was the leading edge of the primer was dropping into a depression as the primer disk rotated and catching, then the primer disk would fold the primer up and upon seating the punch would finish demolishing the primer. Very frustrating until I got it fixed, thought many a time of getting rid of the 650, now I love it!

Mine was doing the same thing when I got it. Dillon suggested that the primer punch spring was weak and not coming up as high as it should. As a quick fix I dismantled it(tough job) and stretched the spring. This worked until Dillon sent me a new one. What was happening was the leading edge of the primer was dropping into a depression as the primer disk rotated and catching, then the primer disk would fold the primer up and upon seating the punch would finish demolishing the primer. Very frustrating until I got it fixed, thought many a time of getting rid of the 650, now I love it!

I was having a similar problem - it was the primer punch was sticking up a bit and causing problems like this. Make sure it sits a bit below flush when there is no pressure on it.

Steve,

Thanks for changing the format and the bold type. Sorry I was a prick about it... I was in one of those moods.

Best,

JT

JT,

No sweat. at first I did not realize the font was being posted so large. When I'm composing the messages, the font is real small, so I tried to go larger. When i previewed the post, I reduced it some.

I was trying to emphasize the problem, hence the bold caps on certain words.

Thx for helping.

I did get the machine to run better as of last night. I spent a few hours at Dillon, we loaded 250 rounds with very few if any issues. Then at home last night, I personally loaded 200 rounds with only 1-2 hiccups, but clearly not the catastrophic scenario i had before.

Steve,

I know you said your bench was rock solid.

So I'm just throwing this in here for future reference. Rule of thumb: You cannot make a reloading bench too solid. My bench was a Granger, heavy-duty laminated bench on a concrete floor, bolted to the wall in two places and to the floor in four. It was literally part of the building.

be

Steve,

So I'm just throwing this in here for future reference. Rule of thumb: You cannot make a reloading bench too solid. My bench was a Granger, heavy-duty laminated bench on a concrete floor, bolted to the wall in two places and to the floor in four. It was literally part of the building.

be

I had my bench that solid and still had a few issues. I made a brace for the case feeder and that fixed it. The machine needs to be rock solid to work smoothly.

Steve,

You need to replace the primer punch assy. Junk gets inside the punch assy. and causes the punch to stick up higher then it is suppose to, witch causes the primers to get stuck in wheel as you cycle the machine.

Rick

Edited by RC1

Steve,

be

I agree, overkill is not a problem for me. thx.

Steve,

You need to replace the primer punch assy. Junk gets inside the punch assy. and causes the punch to stick up higher then it is suppose to, witch causes the primers to get stuck in wheel as you cycle the machine.

Rick

Thx.

• 3 weeks later...
So....did you get this problem solved??????????????

Kind of. I worked on the machine with some of the guys at Dillon, and yes, we did get it to work decently well, but clearly it's a little "buggy". Thx for the follow up and help, I appreciate it!

Steve W

If you worked on the machine with some of the guys from Dillon ............... and you STILL think it's a little "buggy" then there's either something wrong with that press, or something wrong with you. Mechanical things only have so many parts. Replace the bad one and you have a tight, piece of machinery that should produce trouble-free ammo for years to come.

Throw that one out and get another. <_<