Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 problems

Some issues have cropped up with my 650 while loading 9mm. Any help would be appreciated.

First:

Cases keep getting mangled by the mechanism that drops the case onto the feeder track. It seems that it drops the case before the plate is all the way up, so the case can move around a bit, then get munched as you finish your stroke. I'm constantly picking them out, or shifting them around so they fit into the hole. Recently they dont seem to want to seat all the way into the shellplate either, but I assume thats just some dinged up rims.

What's causing this? Any fixes?

Second.

I'm getting all sorts of primer problems lately. The primer plate didn't seem to want to advance. I noticed the primer seater rod isn't sitting flush with the brass nut that holds it in. It is dragging on the bottom of the primer feeder plate. I took it out and tried cleaning it in case some crud got stuck in there, and it sits lower now, but still not flush. Its flipping a lot of primers sideways which then jams up the shellplate.

Ideas?

Sorry if any of this has been covered before. I poked around dillions faq's, and searched some here and didn't see any of this covered.

Thanks!

Some issues have cropped up with my 650 while loading 9mm. Any help would be appreciated.

First:

Cases keep getting mangled by the mechanism that drops the case onto the feeder track. It seems that it drops the case before the plate is all the way up, so the case can move around a bit, then get munched as you finish your stroke. I'm constantly picking them out, or shifting them around so they fit into the hole. Recently they dont seem to want to seat all the way into the shellplate either, but I assume thats just some dinged up rims.

What's causing this? Any fixes?

Second.

I'm getting all sorts of primer problems lately. The primer plate didn't seem to want to advance. I noticed the primer seater rod isn't sitting flush with the brass nut that holds it in. It is dragging on the bottom of the primer feeder plate. I took it out and tried cleaning it in case some crud got stuck in there, and it sits lower now, but still not flush. Its flipping a lot of primers sideways which then jams up the shellplate.

Ideas?

Sorry if any of this has been covered before. I poked around dillions faq's, and searched some here and didn't see any of this covered.

Thanks!

Call Toll Free 800-223-4570 or 480-948-8009 :D

Later,

Chuck

Issue 1) be sure the cam bolted to the top of the case feed plunger is oriented so the handgun side is forward. refer to the drawing in the manual.

issue 2) Unscrew the primer seating punch from the underside of the platform. Push down on the lip of the punch, detach the e-clip and remove the spring. Now soak in solvent a few minutes, then manipulate the punch in and out of the bushing to clear out any residue. Lightly oil the shaft of the punch and reassemble. removed from the platform, the top of the punch should be somewhere between flush to .020" below flush with the survase of the bushing.

Issue 1) be sure the cam bolted to the top of the case feed plunger is oriented so the handgun side is forward. refer to the drawing in the manual.

issue 2) Unscrew the primer seating punch from the underside of the platform. Push down on the lip of the punch, detach the e-clip and remove the spring. Now soak in solvent a few minutes, then manipulate the punch in and out of the bushing to clear out any residue. Lightly oil the shaft of the punch and reassemble. removed from the platform, the top of the punch should be somewhere between flush to .020" below flush with the survase of the bushing.

Thanks!

The cam was backwards. FYI - this is how it came from the factory, and I've never changed that around. I have loaded 9k rounds and it only recently started to become a big problem.

I've got the punch taken apart and is soaking. Any tips on getting that clip back on? On mine the cup beneath it had the concave side facing down, so the c-clip is recessed. In the manual, it looks like the cup is facing the other way, cupping the spring. It would certainly be easier to reassemble that way. Which is correct? Does it matter? Any tips to get that back together?

Thank you!

Thanks!

The cam was backwards. FYI - this is how it came from the factory, and I've never changed that around. I have loaded 9k rounds and it only recently started to become a big problem.

I've got the punch taken apart and is soaking. Any tips on getting that clip back on? On mine the cup beneath it had the concave side facing down, so the c-clip is recessed. In the manual, it looks like the cup is facing the other way, cupping the spring. It would certainly be easier to reassemble that way. Which is correct? Does it matter? Any tips to get that back together?

Thank you!

The punch has been soaking for hours now. I cycle it periodically and the best I can get is still a bit raised - not quite flush, much less recessed. I assume you aren't supposed to remove the press fit section to really get in there. Will the press run with it just a hair above flush, or will I still have primer problems?

What you are experiencing, is growing pains. I kinda went through the same type of things, when I set up my 650. I called Dillon, and really found out how dumb I really was. The guy on the other end of the phone, walked me through the setting up process, (all of which was in the manual) and I have never had a problem again, that I couldn't solve.

[b]Dillon Rules[/b]

:cheers: