Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 30SF Mags won't lock in the gun with 10 rounds

gmel

When I load my 30SF mags with 10 rounds they will not lock in the gun with the slide closed. Does anyone else have this problem? I have tried ball ammo and two types of hollow points. Seems like the gun may only have 9 +1 capacity.

I have no experience with a 30SF, but this is a common issue with most new Glock magazines.

You may have to break the mags in a bit to loosen them up. Load them full, tapping the bottom of the mag on the table every few rounds and let them set like that over the weekend. Then unload them and reload them several times every evening for a few days, letting them set full over night.

After a while, things will loosen up a bit and the problem should go away.

You will also find the mags are easier to load with an Uplula or a HKS speed loader.

Edited by Graham Smith

When the G30-series mags are fully loaded, in my experience, you're compressing the spring WAY too hard to allow reliable seating during a speedload. I've done the whole load/unload thing, and left these mags fully loaded for months at time, and the problem never went away. As far as I'm concerned, realistically these are 9-round mags.

The G30 has always been SUPER tight in the loading department. My suggestions based on my own G30 are to load them up to ten and leave them loaded for a few weeks. When you are bored and watching tv, load and unload the magazines to break in the spring. They will eventually hold a tight 10 rounds.

The G30 has always been SUPER tight in the loading department. My suggestions based on my own G30 are to load them up to ten and leave them loaded for a few weeks. When you are bored and watching tv, load and unload the magazines to break in the spring. They will eventually hold a tight 10 rounds.

I agree completely, but getting the 11 in takes more than a little pressure to get it to seat fully. Don't think you will easily do a successfully tactical reload. I've dropped more than one mag after a unsuccessful attempt in the first stage of an IDPA match where the specific reload was called for on a stage. I rarely shoot the G30 in a match, and after a flub, I remember what it takes. When carrying, I load to 9 in the extra mags, IDPA states load to capacity.

Every time I handle a G30, I can't help but think, "This would be a much better gun if Glock had simply gone for a full-length butt and a magazine with a standard floorplate instead of this weenie 2/3 butt and pinky-extension-on-the-mag thing." Imagine being able to speedload a G30 without having to stick out your master hand index finger like some hoity-toity Brit drinking tea. (No offense intended to our British BE-comers, natch.)