Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

High Points, SLOW SPEED

JimmyZip

Well,

It was a month ago that I first started this thread. I have a loose rear sight so I thought that since my accuracy was questonable, that I would just shoot as fast as I could. Here is what happened.

I started todays match feeling funny. I realized that there is something holding me back. I can shoot fairly accurate. When I say fairly, I mean I drop few points, and rarely miss. So, try as I might on the first two stages, I still had difficulty just getting it on. But a funny thing happened on the third stage. I had some serious failure to feed issues. I checked all my ammo, and everything should have been good. I really screwed a stage up because of this. Turns out, you can have malfunctions due to not lubing your gun. I did not know this, I do now. So now I have an "I could care less" attitiude. I shoot the next three stages faster, but not great. Then I realize that I'm not gonna do anything but shoot fast. I had to almost argue with myself, and finally I just let go.

Now I like stages that require you to move backward. I can't say exactly why, but I do. Loose sights, and gun now lubed and functioning, I am kind of jazzed about smoking this one. I get ready and I kicked this stages ass. I would not be suprised if I got into the top 10 on this stage. I hit my reload and just flowed through it. And my accuracy? well a couple of Cs, but still far more As. Next stage, not great, but still faster. A couple of mikes, losing vision, need to tune in.

Last stage is a house stage with 30 round count. I shoot it just riding the sights, hitting my reloads and going as fast as I could. I hit all As, and shot as fast as I can.

So now I have a bug in my bonnet and ask a friend to time me through the stage that I seriously flubbed. I know it isn't for time, but I want to see what I can really do now that I'm starting to feel some semblance of speed. The fastest gun in our club shoots this today in just under 12. I shoot it with only two Cs, and all else As in 14.32. That is as fast as I can go as of today.

Lesson I learned? If you feel you can make shots, and you are at the point where you can call your shots, you need to move your ass and light the fires! Don't prarie dog it, don't wait for confirmation, or the clouds to open up and the fastness fairies to sprinkle fast dust on you, get it in gear and SHOOT FASTER!

My name is Jim, and I plan on shooting as fast as I can from now on!

...I shoot it just riding the sights, hitting my reloads and going as fast as I could.

Nice. I like the "riding the sights" part. And I wonder, by "going as fast as I can" if you might mean, in a way, that weren't holding yourself back?

...I shoot it just riding the sights, hitting my reloads and going as fast as I could. I hit all As, and shot as fast as I can.

My name is Jim, and I plan on shooting as fast as I can from now on!

:roflol:

A trick lies in learning to hit each target (A-box, plate, or whatever the "target" is) at the earliest possilbe moment. As opposed to: Find the target, stop the gun on it, confirm a sight picture, then shoot. And repeat.

I've been following this post as i can relate to the OP. Always accurate but way too slow. I was doing exactly as Brian said here. Finding the target and then pausing for forever to confirm a perfect sight picture. Then a funny thing happened recently. As I brought the gun on target I was a little hyped up and the shot broke earlier than anticipated. It was a dead center A hit. Made me realize "what the heck am I waiting for". I know the gun is on target, pull the damn trigger.

Brian, GI,

You are exactly right. I don't know what I've been waiting for or why I have been holding myself back, but that is what I've been doing. The weird thing is I just realized it after all this time. It's like a filter is being lifted off of my eyes. I just am starting to feel more open in my head while I shoot. (If that makes any sense)

This is s a great thread... But, no mater what I do.... I will only have one (1) speed... and thats slow and steady... with two (2) bad knees and bad L2 & L3's, that as fast as I can go.... And you know... Sometimes I will rank better than some of the "faster" guys that I shoot with... :unsure::unsure::unsure:

Brian, GI,

You are exactly right. I don't know what I've been waiting for or why I have been holding myself back, but that is what I've been doing. The weird thing is I just realized it after all this time. It's like a filter is being lifted off of my eyes. I just am starting to feel more open in my head while I shoot. (If that makes any sense)

It's cool things are opening up for you.

One thing I just kind of thought of - not certain if it relates to you or not - but don't forget that shooting at speed does not involve letting go of things you can pay attention to. It actually requires you to pay more attention.

I sometimes think that the way people get to shooting faster is by "disregarding" inputs. Decreasing the tolerances a little so that one can shoot faster.

It's interesting to me that the polar opposite has to happen. Like when you're in a race car and you go from 100 MPH to 200 MPH. You can't let go of anything in terms of what you'd pay attention to. Everything requires more detail, more feel, more vision, more of everything! Otherwise you crash and die :surprise:

I suspect that the winners on the NASCAR tour can describe things on the track in details and ways that the folks in the back of the pack can't. And the leaders were driving faster! paying better attention too ;)

Jack

I sometimes think that the way people get to shooting faster is by "disregarding" inputs. Decreasing the tolerances a little so that one can shoot faster.

Absolutely. I am firmly convinced that when most people shoot "fast" (which in the overall scheme of things is not very fast at all), their eyes glaze over in terror and all they see is this film of gray. Of course, I'm basing that on my own early attempts at shooting "fast". :lol:

This is one reason the electronic timer is such an invaluable tool. When we open ourselves up to our visual inputs, it seems like everything is happening slower because we're receiving more input, and we equate amount of input with the amount of time passing. More input = more time, therefore seeing more = seems like more time has passed = seems slower. We need the timer to show us that even though we saw everything we needed to see, our times were just as fast as when we saw essentially nothing. Actually, they may well be significantly faster.

That's one reason I always disagree with the "If you miss, slow down and see what you need to see" advice. All that will do is reinforce the either/or attitude toward speed/seeing. DON'T slow down, keep shooting at the same speed and see more.

That's one reason I always disagree with the "If you miss, slow down and see what you need to see" advice. All that will do is reinforce the either/or attitude toward speed/seeing. DON'T slow down, keep shooting at the same speed and see more.

This sentence supports something I have personally argued for some time, that the correlation between speed and accuracy is an assumption . . . not a fact. The two, while they appear related, are indeed seperate.

Jack

Brian, GI,

It's cool things are opening up for you.

One thing I just kind of thought of - not certain if it relates to you or not - but don't forget that shooting at speed does not involve letting go of things you can pay attention to. It actually requires you to pay more attention.

It's interesting to me that the polar opposite has to happen. Like when you're in a race car and you go from 100 MPH to 200 MPH. You can't let go of anything in terms of what you'd pay attention to. Everything requires more detail, more feel, more vision, more of everything! Otherwise you crash and die :surprise:

I suspect that the winners on the NASCAR tour can describe things on the track in details and ways that the folks in the back of the pack can't. And the leaders were driving faster! paying better attention too ;)

Jack

I like that.

When I think back about particular times when I have been absolutely ON I know that I was taking in a huge volume of information effortlessly and it was all crystal clear, digital hi-def. Clearly I wasn't tuning anything out, but just the opposite. My front sight/dot tracking was so solid that I knew where each shot was going within a very small margin of error, sometimes even watched the bullet in flight, knew how close my foot was to things like fault lines, picked up the next target in my peripheral vision while I was calling the last shot...and on and on.

At times this has given me pause after a run. I recall things like drilling a fast swinger and transitioning off it like it was a wide open target at 5yds....just whack, whack and gone. That concerned me until I realized that when I find myself doing things like that it's when I'm shooting really well...my subconscious has processed the shots, called them good and let me move out without any conscious thought....it just WAS and there was no doubt.

As for your NASCAR analogy, I'm certain you're right. They say that the best have a better "feel" for the car. I think it's simply that they're not focusing in the traditional sense, but rather open to everything and anything so they notice stuff that others miss. R,