Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Camaraderie -- What does it mean to you?

betterment

Camaraderie: Loyalty and warm, friendly feeling among comrades.

This is the definition that Webster provides us with.

My definition goes beyond these words…Trust comes to mind. Physical, mental and emotional trust to know that they can be counted on and that they can count on you in times of stress and in times of vulnerability. There are not too many things that can top the camaraderie of working with a solid group of guys.

What is in your definition?

Reminiscing on my “early” Navy days.

Phil

I think of the times I was on a winning sports team. Travel and competition with a group of people, practicing until the point of exhaustion, showing up to the other teams pool knowing you will defeat them by a whole lot of goals, then sleeping the whole way home with that sense of pride keeping you warm. (talking waterpolo here)

Or when I played on a winning soccer team and I was only 10, and sometimes I run into guys who were on that team with me and we remember taking the regional in overtime by one point. (We're in our early 40s now!)

When I meet or run into guys that were stationed with me at Schofeild,(the miracle of Facebook) I get the cameraderie thing some, but not as much as my old friends from High School Water Polo. That team just ruled the roost!

I have worked in a shop with basically the same crew for about 30 years now. We move around a bit sometimes, but folks that you spend a lot of time with at work, you get to know real well. These are folks that stand behind you.

They will rag you unmercifully for a goof or a mess up or anything slightly embarrassing, but you know they only do it because they are your friends.

dj