Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady LNL Progressive Press

Well I tried the idea of placing the powder charger in station 2 and the Lee PTE die in station 3 and modified it with a dowel and a rubber ring. It works absolutely perfectly. For the price of a small wooden dowel and a rubber ring cut from a door stop cap, it functions perfectly, expanding just the right amount (after trial and error adjustment) and it operates smoothly as a powder cop. This is for a45 acp set up. Now on to the 9mm to see if I can do the same with that.

I use Lee dies for my 45 and 357. The powder drop and thru-expander combo for lee works fine. It does not drop as consistenty as the Hornady, but is much easier to adjust. If you're using Lee dies, I don't see why you can't powder-thu expand with ease.

I don't like the idea of a powder cop die that uses visual feedback. I've got a lot of things to look at, and think it would give me a false sense of security, believing that I would notice it. Sometimes I don't notice when the primer pin 'pops' up (from a piece of gravel or 22 shell in the case). Am I really going to notice a powder cop?

Doesn't someone (Dillon?) make a powder cop alarm with a buzzer? I might trust that more...

I use Lee dies for my 45 and 357. The powder drop and thru-expander combo for lee works fine. It does not drop as consistenty as the Hornady, but is much easier to adjust. If you're using Lee dies, I don't see why you can't powder-thu expand with ease.

I don't like the idea of a powder cop die that uses visual feedback. I've got a lot of things to look at, and think it would give me a false sense of security, believing that I would notice it. Sometimes I don't notice when the primer pin 'pops' up (from a piece of gravel or 22 shell in the case). Am I really going to notice a powder cop?

Doesn't someone (Dillon?) make a powder cop alarm with a buzzer? I might trust that more...

Jeff686:

Sorry I did not explain my idea more clearly. I am not using the Lee powder drop, I am using the Hornady, which is quite accurate as you state. And I agree with you that a completely automated, fail safe loading system would be a wonderful thing to own (although that might take some of the fun out of the process?) I would be interested in hearing the method you currently use to assure that you have an appropriate powder charge before seating the bullet, if you don't trust visual observation. I have found it slow to observe and difficult to see the actual powder charge in the case. I know that RCBS has the lock out powder die that mechanically locks up the system if an inappropriate powder charge is detected, and I may eventually go that direction. I will do more research on the audible alarm you mention. For now, my conversion of the Lee PTE die to a combination expander and visual powder cop is working just fine.

Jeff, steer clear of the lockout die. I have 2 of them and they don't work as advertised. The best solutiomn I have seen is adapting a Dillon checker to the LNL. H'day shoud just make one, there is enough presses out there.

Jeff686:

Sorry I did not explain my idea more clearly. I am not using the Lee powder drop, I am using the Hornady, which is quite accurate as you state. And I agree with you that a completely automated, fail safe loading system would be a wonderful thing to own (although that might take some of the fun out of the process?) I would be interested in hearing the method you currently use to assure that you have an appropriate powder charge before seating the bullet, if you don't trust visual observation. I have found it slow to observe and difficult to see the actual powder charge in the case. I know that RCBS has the lock out powder die that mechanically locks up the system if an inappropriate powder charge is detected, and I may eventually go that direction. I will do more research on the audible alarm you mention. For now, my conversion of the Lee PTE die to a combination expander and visual powder cop is working just fine.

I'm not sure exactly how I imagined your setup. I just wanted to point out that if you did use the Lee expander/measure in one station it is easy to adjust the bell. The down side is the powder measure is not as good as the Hornady.

I currently don't use any method of powder check die. I probably sound a little hipocritical (sp?). One could argue that a visual powder cop type die might be better than nothing, but I'm afraid of getting a false sense of security. I just really hate having false confidence in something.

Since I load 38 super, and fill the case 3/4+ full, I can observe the powder in the case. Since I'm looking in that direction (to place the bullet), I try to check the powder level. Furthermore, double charges are messy and obvious. My eyes are down on the shell plate, not up at the top of the dies. I truthfully think that I'm more likely to notice a powder drop problem by looking at the case than looking up at a powder cop die each time I pull the lever.

Anyway, I have no illusions that my method is error free. I hate to add a powder cop, and then have false trust in it. It is easier to accept my shortcomings when I'm aware of them. If I put my trust in a powder cop, it would have to be the audible type.

Maybe my next project will be an audible powder cop that doesn't have the funky Dillon lever rod.

....I probably sound a little hipocritical (sp?). One could argue that a visual powder cop type die might be better than nothing, but I'm afraid of getting a false sense of security. I just really hate having false confidence in something.

Since I load 38 super, and fill the case 3/4+ full, I can observe the powder in the case. Since I'm looking in that direction (to place the bullet), I try to check the powder level. Furthermore, double charges are messy and obvious. My eyes are down on the shell plate, not up at the top of the dies. I truthfully think that I'm more likely to notice a powder drop problem by looking at the case than looking up at a powder cop die each time I pull the lever.

Anyway, I have no illusions that my method is error free. I hate to add a powder cop, and then have false trust in it. It is easier to accept my shortcomings when I'm aware of them. If I put my trust in a powder cop, it would have to be the audible type.

Maybe my next project will be an audible powder cop that doesn't have the funky Dillon lever rod.

You look at the powder cop when the ram is all the way up, and there is nothing else to look at. You check it before you lower the ram. It really is that simple. Anytime you don't check the cop, like because you looked at the powder measure or your watch or something, you make sure to recheck the case for powder.

Of course, anyone can screw up anything, and if you don't check it it does no good. There is nothing wrong with the Dillon buzz method, either, and it probably is a better alert. It works on the same method, except that the part you would be watching on the Hornady is the part that activates the buzz on the Dillon.

• 1 year later...

Jeff, I know this has been a while, but I just got reminded of the slider you made when watching Hornady's promo video about the new bullet feeder on their site. The video clearly shows a slider looking exactly like yours.

Have you given Hornady the rights for your invention? Will we see the 'Jeff-slider' as a Hornady product soon? Either way, congrats, must be good to know you were right all along! cheers.gif

Edited by ardo

• 2 weeks later...

YES! I didn't see it until you pointed it out. Cool! I don't know if that was a prototype or if they finally went into production.

Yes, Hornady has been totally on the up-n-up with me, even sponsoring my 2009 trip to the Nationals.

• 4 weeks later...

Jeff

I wanted to say thanks for designing that mechanism for allowing the flaring to occur without torquing the Powder drop nicely done.

When I noticed the PTX setup doing that I ordered a Powder funnel that allows proper flaring for all common calibers.

However under my X Mas tree is the new Hornady Bullet Feeder and just to play it safe machined a Turnbuckle of your design.

Thanks again Jeff

Ian

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

my new hornady press came with that PTX bracket thing :D wee

Mine as well. Just got my press this week. Much appreciated, Hornady. Anything to make this process easier.

Frankly, as I'm new to reloading, just figuring out the basic BOM (Bill of Materials) required to get started was a major undertaking. Now, I'm at the assembly and adjustment stage of the process. Exquisitely tedious. Every press should come with a blanket prescription for the beta-blocker of your choice. I now understand why I've seen pictures of reloading benches with 2 or 3 presses on them for each caliber. Suffice it to say, forums like this, the wealth of information therein and the gracious manner by which it is put forth is supremely appreciated. Many thanks to everyone for a fantastic resource.

Edited by Jungo2