Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Tweaking Of My Trojan

TCKev

Well I've read a bunch of post about Single Stack's till midnight last night so hear goes. I'm going to send it Tripp for the tuning and his mags, either SV or Techwell magwell, Dawson FO Front Site. I think I'm going to buy the recoil and mainspring and change that myself 19lb MS and a 12. 5lb Recoil Spring. I'm not to sure about the grip's but if I think the TW's would work nicely if I went with there's not sure if you need a certain grip with the SV. All opinion's welcome. If I need some straighting out let me know, I'm a newb and have a lot to learn.

I'm getting a 40 Trojan ready as well. I plan to narrow the front sight a little and open up the rear sight. I have ordered a Smith & Alexander mag well and an STI short trigger. Going to try it with a set of Colt rubber grips, already put in a 14# recoil spring, but have a 12 & 13 to try as well. I have 17# mainsprings in my Open and Limited so will probably go with that. I have some Wilson 40 mags and will go with those.

With the Techwell you either have ot use their grips (Alumagrips with a distinctive feeling checkering...very nice feeling BTW) or send them grips to modify, but they can't be wood or anything soft so you'd have to go with something Carbon Creations or some sort of very hard/tough laminate grip. Personally, the Alumagrips feel nice to me, are quite light and you don't have to wait to get them.

With the SV you can use any normal grip.

I have a .40 Trojan that I did something similar with and would suggest you talk to Virgil about one thing. I tried Tripp mags in my gun and while they ran and fed, they had one problem I couldn't live with. If I put the mag in the gun, cycled one into the chamber and tried to drop the mag, it would hang up badly. If I put it in the gun, cycled one into the chamber and shot one or two and tried to drop the mag it would hang up similarly....not impossible, but you had to give it a good pull to get it out.

What was happening was when the top round would strip off and feed into the chamber it would move the round below it forward and that would spread out the feed lips until they dragged on the inside of the frame and wouldn't drop free. I tried to go even longer on the OAL of the ammo and it didn't help even as far out as 1.260 or 1.270 (can't recall which it was). It's possible that removing a little material on the inside of the frame would fix that but I prefer to alter the cheap parts first :D so I just bought a bunch of Wilson 47NX mags and stuck the extended basepads like they use on the 47DE mag and left it at that. McCormick 10mm mags also work nicely. None of them, however, are as easy to take apart and clean as the Tripp mags which makes life a lot easier for a SS shooter as you've always got a handful of mags to clean after each stage.

The reason it's a problem is that there can be a situation where you run the gun to slide lock, but have a lot of distance to cover to get to the next shooting position...if you've got as many mags on the belt as you should, it's easy to do a slide lock reload, then drop that mag and reload with a full one so that you don't have to go to slide lock on every single array from there on out.

The other thing is to make sure you pick a magwell and send that to Virgil as well so he can make sure the mags he sets up for the gun are long enough. With the largest Techwell you'll need one of his "System" mags which is specifically designed for that magwell and has an extension of the tube body on the bottom. R,

I have a Trojan in 45 and recommend an extended mag catch (the stock one with the Trojan is not at all extended). I installed a Nowlin myself with success. I may have chosen the spring weight by buying and Wulff mag catch spring variety pack and choosing my favorite. I also recommend an AFTEC extractor. I (also successfully) installed that myself, but is a bit involved, especially if you fit the firing pin stop. I also filed a bit off the front of the guide rod, so it could be stripped easier.

I failed to disengage the grip safety at times while shooting, so had to deactivate that.

Also, installed a S&A magwell/msh, and use VZ micarta grips. I had problems keeping grips screws tight with aluminum grips. I use a Brazo's microdot front sight, that Bob at Brazo's installed. Bob also did a great trigger job on it (the most important upgrade) with the stock parts.

Read the title of this thread and was really hoping it was about an STI..lol

Thanks for going first, Pat. I was thinking along the same lines... :rolleyes:

I might have to start a thread on all the associate Trojan jokes...you know, it's a 'safe' gun, AD's, over lubricated, under lubricated, jamming, getting bit....