Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

An electronic round counter for any press.

Tom S.

Here is information on a ‘round counter’ you can build yourself. It should be adaptable to any press. Unlike the one Dillon used to sell, this one is designed to measure press strokes. Thus, you don’t need one for each caliber, nor do you need to move it from tool head to tool head. The case I used is Dillon Blue, but they have other colors available.

The parts used:

From Willy’s Electronic Supply www.WillysElectronics.com

1 Each 1591LBU CH. Box 3.3 x 2.2 x 1.4 @ $6.49

1 Each BC120 9 Volt Battery Snap @ $1.29

1 Each 30-006 Mini Pushbutton Switch @ $3.99

From Radio Shack:

1 Each 275-1547 Momentary Pushbutton Switch @ $3.49

From Grainger:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/produ...&submit.y=5

1 Each 2PAT7 Counter,LCD,6 Digit 1 @ $21.89

In addition to this list, you will need some wire and solder.

Below is a picture of the finished counter, along with the wiring schematic. Total build time is about an hour. YMMV!

post-14421-1230819347_thumb.jpg

post-14421-1230819454_thumb.jpg

Tom,

Can you post a picture of the switch mounted? Do you mount it on the press, in the loaded ammo chute, or some other place?

Thanks

James

The switch location can be anywhere you choose, or for that matter, any kinf you choose: optical, momentary contact (my choice), magnetic or what ever floats your boat. The only requirement is it functions once everytime the press functions. I have 'jury rigged' one below the shell plate holder on my 650 that only makes contact during the primer seating. It's not wired up yet because I haven't gotten the wire yet. I plan to mount the counter itself on the pole holding the shell feeder, but again, it can be mounted anywhere you want to run the wires to. It would be neat to wire an optical switch either on the finished bullet chute or at the crimp stage, but I don't know how much that kind of switch costs or what size it would be. I tried to keep this cheap and easy!

post-14421-1230822675_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tom S.

I take a magic marker and put a slash on the box I empty the loaded rounds into after loading every 100 primers.

At the end of the session I multiply the number of slashes by 100 and write that product on the box with the loaded rounds.

Of course, I use a Dillon Blue marker.

I take a magic marker and put a slash on the box I empty the loaded rounds into after loading every 100 primers.

At the end of the session I multiply the number of slashes by 100 and write that product on the box with the loaded rounds.

Of course, I use a Dillon Blue marker.

Yeah but that requires math.... :blink::P:o

• 3 weeks later...

Here's an idiotically brilliant question: (mebbe just idiotic?)

Why not mount the microswitch in/on the chute, possibly extending the lever, so that it's toggled by rounds dumped out of the press? That way clearing bad cases from the machine doesn't jack up your round count. It only counts good rounds as they're dumped into the bin.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Here's an idiotically brilliant question: (mebbe just idiotic?)

Why not mount the microswitch in/on the chute, possibly extending the lever, so that it's toggled by rounds dumped out of the press? That way clearing bad cases from the machine doesn't jack up your round count. It only counts good rounds as they're dumped into the bin.

I like this idea as well.

The potential problem I see with that (at least with my press) is not all rounds fall through the chute each time the press is cycled. Some times I end up with two or three rounds in there, in which case a micro switch may only register one when two rounds go through together.

I have considered an optical switch stationed at the chute (where the round is ejected into the chute) but I don't know what such a switch would cost.

Edited by Tom S.

The potential problem I see with that (at least with my press) is not all rounds fall through the chute each time the press is cycled. Some times I end up with two or three rounds in there, in which case a micro switch may only register one when two rounds go through together.

I have considered an optical switch stationed at the chute (where the round is ejected into the chute) but I don't know what such a switch would cost.

I seriously considered an optical switch. But I think it will be much easier to move the switch to the crimp die. Already figured out a design I think will work very well. Only problem with this unit is that it counts the number of times the shellplate cycles, and doesn't account for crushed primers that force you to pitch a case, or those damned .380 cases that sneak in and get pitched after sizing. Once-fired indoor range brass is sweet, but I'd like to outlaw 380s on Tuesdays when I get to scavenge. ;)

Anyway, thanks for the idea. Came together great, built very quickly - only took about 15 minutes. I sourced everything except the counter from Radio Shack, including the project box. :)

Oh, and just so everyone else knows. Turning the counter off DOES NOT clear it's memory. Only pressing the reset button accomplished that. So if you want to track the overall # of rounds loaded on your machine over an extended period of time, it shouldn't be hard to do. Just don't forget to turn it on before you start.

post-11460-1232683959_thumb.jpg

post-11460-1232683963_thumb.jpg

post-11460-1232683967_thumb.jpg

post-11460-1232683970_thumb.jpg

post-11460-1232683985_thumb.jpg

post-11460-1232683991_thumb.jpg

post-11460-1232683995_thumb.jpg

post-11460-1232684004_thumb.jpg

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I stick 100 primers in the feed tube, and load 'til I run out...

then I count "100", and reload the tube...

"200"...

empty the catch-bin...

run in infront of the TV, and watch Sports Center, and transfer from the collection bin to the ammo boxes...

if all the holes in the ammo box are full, my math was right...

Cost me nothin'...

But then... I was a MECHANICAL engineer. Solder scares me...

JeffWard

• 7 months later...

I seriously considered an optical switch. But I think it will be much easier to move the switch to the crimp die. Already figured out a design I think will work very well. Only problem with this unit is that it counts the number of times the shellplate cycles, and doesn't account for crushed primers that force you to pitch a case, or those damned .380 cases that sneak in and get pitched after sizing. Once-fired indoor range brass is sweet, but I'd like to outlaw 380s on Tuesdays when I get to scavenge. ;)

Anyway, thanks for the idea. Came together great, built very quickly - only took about 15 minutes. I sourced everything except the counter from Radio Shack, including the project box. :)

Oh, and just so everyone else knows. Turning the counter off DOES NOT clear it's memory. Only pressing the reset button accomplished that. So if you want to track the overall # of rounds loaded on your machine over an extended period of time, it shouldn't be hard to do. Just don't forget to turn it on before you start.

An alternate method of mounting the switch could allow for a non-optical (cheaper by $3) alternative. Using a pinball machine microswitch with wire actuator, one could fashion a gate for the finished round chute. Thus when a round went down the chute it would index the counter by 1 and eliminate miscounting from actuating the machine, (jambs etc).

Otherwise most Pinball machine manufacturers sell cheap optical sensors for $9-12. This one is $9.99 from http://www.lakesidepinballparts.com/switch.html

optoreceiver.jpg

The crimp-die-activated switch is the way to go (that's what I used on my pedometer version from a few years ago), unless you use a Lee FCD. Then you have to drill it. Lots easier to trigger on that than trying to fit something in the chute.