Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hunters who show no respect

bbbean

I was raised to always ask permission before hunting on someone's property. Unfortunately, that isn't a universal trait. I just had to run a couple of guys off who were hunting the 40 my house sits on. My wife called me when their dogs were on our back porch, and they were shooting within 100 feet of the house.

To add insult to injury, they thought *I* was the one being a jerk when I told them that not only could they not hunt near my house, but I wanted them completely off the property.

If they'd just taken the time to knock on the door or call me on the phone, I'd have been glad to let them hunt the back side of the farm or one of our other farms, but once somebody shows bad judgment, I just want them off the place.

Sounds to me like you were in the right and since they left with no shots fired, sounds like you were very civilized in your handling of the situation.

They had shotguns. I had a Kel Tec 380. I had major incentive to keep things civil! Fortunately for me, they did have enough manners to know they were in the wrong, even if they thought I was being too damned picky about things like property, safety, and respect.

How about the "New Generation" of hunters disrespecting the wildlife and the environment. Case in point, a book published recently called "Generation Dux", epitomizing the aforementioned. The captions on the cover are "Xciting, Xcessive and "Xtreme". Photos are of a-holes playing with dead animals like they are toys or ripping up the habitat in off road vehicles.

Your way is completely the correct way to handle that situation.

When ever I hear such recounts I often find my self thinking city-folk.

please keep in mind that I am one of the many city-folk...

it is hard to tell city-folk the hunting is not the problem

it is the fact that the hunters in question are not paying attention to a lot of very important

aspects around hunting. like being aware of the situation

letting the people who live around know that you are hunting... the list is long

It comes down to showing indications that they are using their brains

and being considerate of the folks who LIVE there.

miranda

How about the "New Generation" of hunters disrespecting the wildlife and the environment. Case in point, a book published recently called "Generation Dux", epitomizing the aforementioned. The captions on the cover are "Xciting, Xcessive and "Xtreme". Photos are of a-holes playing with dead animals like they are toys or ripping up the habitat in off road vehicles.

Don't get me started on trespassers with 4 wheelers! I understand if a guy has to cut across a farm to get to his duck blind or the next ditch, but for God's sake use the field roads! Nothing burns a farmer up faster than seeing deep muddy tracks running across the crown of a field put to grade, or huge donut circles in the middle of a field that would otherwise be ready to plant.

It used to be you never saw a no tresspassing or no hunting sign in our area. People just knew to treat another man's property with respect. Now a lot of land owners (including my brother) have decided its just not worth the bother and post everything. I'll still let people hunt if they ask, but another incident or two like this one, and I'll join the "sorry, no hunting here" crowd.

Its not just "cityfolk" that are the problem, but a lack of respect and upbringing in general. Every property owner I talked to who refused to sell me hunting rights had a story about some idiots who had ruined it for the rest of us.

Our old hunt club had land that was surrounded by lands leased to a big "sport" hunting outfit. The first time I found an out-of-state hunter in my tree stand, I figured he was just a bit lost. The second time, I stood and talked to the guy for a while. Come to find out that the outfit guides were purposely telling the guys to go to our stands. They had our land scouted out and knew where every stand was. The next year the harassment from the game warden started. This year, the land owner hee'd and haw'd about the lease until finally when we drove down to see him and get the lease handled, he fessed up that the outfit had offered him almost double what we were currently paying. And we had held that hunting lease for almost 20 years. We had to argue with him for quite some time for permission to go get our stands off the property, many of which were large platform stands.

interesting term city-folk.

I use it to describe the kind of head(way of thinking?) that is not created by farming.

Raising crops and livestock and barns

causes people to think differently about land from those who don't.

I know about it (the two different mindsets) because I spent a few years in farm-folk territory.

I got the term from Billy Crystal. :-)

miranda

Any kid who has taken hunter safety ...can tell you to always ask permission to hunt on private land.

In our state it requires written permission.

Dove hunters shooting from the back of pickup trucks spray our house with shot from time to time :angry2:

The few bad people who hunt and shoot...create a very poor picture that rubs off on all of us.

The people who are polite, honest and ask permission...get to hunt on my land.

Sure gald those guys didn't cause trouble for you!

Jim