Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Poor Mans 550

So for now all I can really afford is the press, without digging in too deep of a hole.

I would really like the "as it should be" but I feel that for now I can get by mounting the press to my workbench and can upgrade to the strong mount and handle at a later date...(next billing cycle so I can bury it so the wife doesn't see it).

for the short term If I mount the press to my bench how do you guys catch the completed cartridge as it is ejected. What's the easiest cheapest way to accomplish this. I have never seen a 550 mounted so I'm sorry if this seems like a stupid question but is there a mount that I can bolt on to the side of my bench that will hold the bin?

I have all other aspects covered such as dies, conversion kits,... just need to know the easiest way to mount and catch the cartridge.

Well sorta,

Mount the press on the right corner of your bench then mount a catch bin to the edge of the bench.

Dont get me wrong I like my 550 and have loaded on it for about 11 years many thousands of pistol and hundreds of rifle but if I had it to do all over again I wouldnt buy a 550. I'd buy a SDB for pistol and keep a decent single stage or turret press for rifle. The 550 is more expensive and slower than the SDB and the 550's only advantage is it can load rifle. I just dont load volume rifle. The few times I loaded mass 5.56 it was such a pain I just ordered bulk loaded ammo. With my hunting rifles with the depriming, trimming and lubing steps I am not really progressively loading. and I usually only load at most 10-20 rounds at a time. Unless you are planning on a farely high volume of rifle loading. I would skip the 550 especially in a base model like your doing. Get a SDB for pistol and as finances improve down the road you can upgrade to a 650. Your SDB will hold about 80% of its value.

Rusty,

The bin DOES mount to the bench if you're not using the Strong Mount. It uses screws into the bench and mounts to the right side of the press. I've used mine that way for 20-something years and recently added the case feeder. It all works fine without the strong mount since I like to sit down to load.

Alan~^~

Well sorta,

Mount the press on the right corner of your bench then mount a catch bin to the edge of the bench.

Dont get me wrong I like my 550 and have loaded on it for about 11 years many thousands of pistol and hundreds of rifle but if I had it to do all over again I wouldnt buy a 550. I'd buy a SDB for pistol and keep a decent single stage or turret press for rifle. The 550 is more expensive and slower than the SDB and the 550's only advantage is it can load rifle. I just dont load volume rifle. The few times I loaded mass 5.56 it was such a pain I just ordered bulk loaded ammo. With my hunting rifles with the depriming, trimming and lubing steps I am not really progressively loading. and I usually only load at most 10-20 rounds at a time. Unless you are planning on a farely high volume of rifle loading. I would skip the 550 especially in a base model like your doing. Get a SDB for pistol and as finances improve down the road you can upgrade to a 650. Your SDB will hold about 80% of its value.

Thanks for the honest input. One thing I have realized is that I am not going to get hurt buying a dillon. I have been watching auctions close on ebay for the last month and I can buy a new one shipped cheaper from Brian in most of the cases.

I'm really not a cheapskate and can "afford" to do whatever is best. I just don't like spending money for the sake of spending.

As my intention of deciding on the 550 was that I would like to load .223 for my AR eventually, could you elaborate on the problems you had. I too have always just bought bulk ammo for it. But the recent shortages and cost increases have made me reconsider. I loaded 200 yesterday on my single stage .... that will last me about an hour...

I have spoken with a couple of locals. Some like their SDB and have suggested dedicated presses for pistol calibers, others suggest stepping up to a 550 right away. At this point I'm confused...

I known one thing for sure, I'm tired of pinching my fingers loading 9mm and .380 on my rockchukker.

Thanks for everyone's help. Sorry for the newbie questions.

Well sorta,

Pretty much says it all IMO.

I did not like the strong mount on my 550s and sold em...

If you are going to buy a single press for everything.. Get the 550. If you want to load a single pistol caliber. .. The SDB. If you are a wild man get 1050s for every caliber and a few of each of all the others for specialty stuff... B)

And yes this is something (mutiple 1050s) done by more than a few people.... :cheers:

I started without the bullet tray or the strong mount. I ended up buying the strong mount though- it helped a ton. I was too cheap to buy the bullet tray, so I made one out of a cheapo "L" bracket and a plastic food container. 9 years and who knows how many rounds and it still works fine. I bought the roller handle and sold it- I like the "8 ball" better. I don't need the powder warning sensor, as the powder hopper is 10" in front of my face while I'm reloading. I bought a bunch of spare primer tubes, but I don't use them. Get the spare part kit- even though the replacement parts are free, it is easier to have them ready when they go kaput.

I have the wherwithal to buy whatever, but I haven't found the need to upgrade from the 550. I only load 100-200 rounds at a sitting (although I do have a sitting several times per week). I don't want a casedfeeder, since I individually inspect every case before inserting it into the machine. The lack of an auto index was a non-issue after the first 300 rounds.

I have a bunch of 550's, all but one is strong mounted and all but one of the strong mounted ones has the bullet tray and the cartridge bin kit. Soon to be fixed on that score. The one not currently strong mounted is used for 223 and a couple of other small primered rifle cartridges.

Optional Extras in order of usefulness (IM Not So HO)

Extra Primer Tubes

Roller Handle

Strong Mount, buy the bullet tray and cartridge bin kit at the same time it is just easier and you only pay freight once.

Casefeeder and only if you shoot one or two pistol calibres. If you think you need a casefeeder NOW, buy a 650.

The 550 when used properly and when you get experienced is only marginally slower that a SDB and sometimes quicker depending on the nut behind the handle.

Easier to change calibres on.

More expensive.

Thanks for everyones help. I ended up pulling a Calico out of the safe and made a trade on a 550 with the roller handle, 9mm and 10mm conversion kits, dillon sig dies, couple spare toolheads, and enough components to keep me busy for a while. I realize I missed a few things to make changes easier so will be ordering those up tonight.

Got it set up and cranked out 100 just to get the feel of it. So far so good.

I should have done this years ago. Anyway thanks again for everyones help.