Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Outlining the A-zone

RegRob

Peel off, stick on.

Flex actually recommends putting the stocker a bit above center in the A-zone since, in his experience, shots that get pulled have a tendency to get pulled low, not high.

I am actually using business cards. Should I still leave them square or put them on in a different shape?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peel off, stick on.

Flex actually recommends putting the sticker a bit above center in the A-zone since, in his experience, shots that get pulled have a tendency to get pulled low, not high.

That wasn't really my reasoning, but it is a valid point

Let me reshuffle my earlier post:

When we see partial targets, we are generally given a presentation that still gives us most of the upper part of the A-zone. So, practice aiming for the upper half...and you have a consistent area that you aim for (most often).

No shoots and hard cover. ...

post-690-1230683067_thumb.jpg

Consistent aiming area.

If we can aim for the same area...most all of the time...that also helps reinforce driving the gun using the overall target outline (as I mention in post #43 ).

Many shooters (including me, when I started) just naturally go for center of mass (COM)...which is a form of aiming using the entire target outline. But, it is too low.

So a sticker (or whatever) gets the shooter going for a better aiming area. Aim small, hit small. At the same time, it builds a new subconscious standard. The shooter gets used to seeing the sights/gun outlined by the whole target...in a different )better) area then the old COM.

For me, it has a real world carry over for self-defense. It approximates the human pump and pipes pretty well too.

• 2 weeks later...

I tape 1/3 sized targets in the A zone towards the top. They fit perfectly and serve multiple purposes. At 10 yards I accept any sight picture that has the sights on the reduced target. For rifle drills at 10 yards I ignore the full sized targets completely. For movement dills I have to move in much closer ( because that is where I have the space to move) so once again I use only the reduced targets and ignore the full sized one.