Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Long Does It Take?

Bill Nesbitt

I placed my brand new Glock 17 on the kitchen table. It had only been fired 20 shots. The trigger pull measured 8# by my RCBS trigger pull scale. That's with the factory "5 #" trigger. :wacko: The sights were factory plastic. Big & clunky. :o

Beside it on the table were a 3 1/2 # connector, a reduced power striker spring, a 15 # recoil spring and uncaptured spring guide, a Hienie rear sight and a Dawson fiber optic front sight.

23 minutes later it was ready to race. The trigger pull now measured a very usable 3 3/4 #. That's with no polishing at all. It could now be used to win the Nationals with the right shooter. :D

Top that 1911 fans. :lol:

Bill Nesbitt

A G17 would be hard to win Nats with since it is MINOR. If you have a plastic fetish indulge yourself :) and have fun shooting. Why try to piss on those who prefer the 1911? Oh wait, the last time a Glock won Limited Nats, uh NEVER (but it is the driver that win not the pistol). Take that in you pipe and smoke it. :P

Bill

This is a combative side of you we have never seen, or expected of you.

I kind of like it...

You know that all us 1911 shooters like the archaic design, lots of small parts, knowing that we support a cottage industry, have an elitist attitude, worship the many controls on the pistol, and love scaring the untrained by carrying cocked & locked. No Glock can show case your personal taste by allowing you to change the grips to match your mood, double diamond Goncola Alves one day, Ivory the next and when you feel like a pimp, Mexican Gold/Silver, (sorry Jeffro).

Oh did I mention that even if it takes longer than 23 minutes, we love the fact that we can have a STEEL pistol, on which you can have the finest trigger in all pistoldom!!! And I like the smell of all the stuff I use to clean it, Fantastic or Simple Green ain't nearly so aromatic.

Bill,

I suspect the biggest part of the 23 minutes was putting in the uncaptured rod. (You'll have to show me your trick to that.)

I would feel secure enough to pick up the gun Bill just "prepared", and shoot a Major match with it. If it were a 1911, I would have to fire 500 rounds through it first (of course, I would have to stop to clean it two times on the way to 500. :lol: )

Hmmm, the finest pistol trigger in all pistoldom? I don't know about that. Vanek's personal G24 Caspian has a 10oz pull. (I think that was what it measured, doesn't matter since no 1911 or 2011 pistol has ever gotten close to feeling that good.)

Oh and Flex, there is a simple method for that, just squeeze it like a syringe, then put it in place.

tightloop,

I was speaking in jest when I made the comment about 1911's. I even put a smiley in there. :lol: I guess L2S didn't appreciate my humor. :lol: I'll try to behave from now on. B)

Us Glock shooters can change the grip tape when we want a change. :D

Flex,

It only takes a few seconds to put the uncaptured guide rod in place when you have done it as many times as I have. Most of my Glocks are so old they came with uncaptured rods. :D

Bill Nesbitt