Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger SR9 or Springfield XD M?

steveyacht

I have a friend that wants to do more steel matches, enjoys casual shooting and wants a nice carry gun. She went out and bought an S&W Sigma and hates the trigger pull. She does not like a Glock, although I believe that if she was shown the right ones, she may be. We went out to a few shops yesterday and looked at the Ruger SR9 and a couple Springfield XD models. She prefers the trigger pull of the XD but likes the grip feel of the Ruger. I suggested that before she makes another Sigma mistake she look at an XDM, preferably at a shop that has all three for her to compare at the same time. What would Y'all suggest?

XDM is not out in a compact or subcompact yet I don't believe. The standard model seems too big for a woman to carry concealed (a lot of men too JMHO). The standard compact or subcompact XD might be best. If she likes your P14 have her try the P12 or 13 if you can find one. Also look at the Sig 250.

Richard

PS: The S&W M&P is good in the compact and subcompact versions too.

XDM is not out in a compact or subcompact yet I don't believe. The standard model seems too big for a woman to carry concealed (a lot of men too JMHO). The standard compact or subcompact XD might be best. If she likes your P14 have her try the P12 or 13 if you can find one. Also look at the Sig 250.

Richard

PS: The S&W M&P is good in the compact and subcompact versions too.

I should have been more clear. The concealed carry aspect of the total is not as important as the others so, a compact style gun is not important. Matter of fact, when carried it will be in the car, handbag, briefcase, etc. I see many suggestions for the M&P but, other than them offering a compact or subcompact model, there seems to be no other cogent reason to consider one of them over and above the Ruger or XDM.

The M&P shoots better, feels better, reloads better, has great magazines, and overall is a much better gun for me. The trigger can also be as good or better than anything else in the class. The XD after a trip to Canyon Creek will have a superb trigger but I very much doubt that anyone is doing anything for the Ruger so the trigger out of the box is what you will have.

Can you find a range where you can LIVE fire these side-by-side? Dry fire is one thing, but handling in live fire and recoil is the real test.

I got (too much) input from shooters in other disciplines who where a foot taller and 100# heavier than me. What worked for them did not work for me. If I had to do it again, I'd live fire more, make my own decisions ... and listen MUCH less to input from the gallery.

It's actually better that 'compactness' is not a primary concern ... a tiny gun will flip/bounce more in recoil (esp if you're shooting factory ammo). A salesmen once gave me this example: remember Will Smith in Men In Black? The 'Cricket' gun threw him across the room. Everybody thinks they want a 'Cricket' and discounts how it'll really perform. The least recoil I've ever felt was a big revolver that shot .454 Cassul!

Live fire polymer guns, guns with alloy frames and steel frames (don't discount a 9mm 1911). Borrow, rent at a range; see what she likes best, no preconceptions, no restrictions. Buy based on HER experience.

Edited by FranDoc

The M&Ps and XDs seem to be proven in competition --- so I'd probably look there before plunging into the Ruger. There are certainly other players on the block, but I'd recommend a range with a well-stocked rental counter, or encouraging other shooters at matches to allow your friend to fire their guns. Most shooters are more than willing to try and help that way....

Can you find a range where you can LIVE fire these side-by-side? Dry fire is one thing, but handling in live fire and recoil is the real test.

I got (too much) input from shooters in other disciplines who where a foot taller and 100# heavier than me. What worked for them did not work for me. If I had to do it again, I'd live fire more, make my own decisions ... and listen MUCH less to input from the gallery.

It's actually better that 'compactness' is not a primary concern ... a tiny gun will flip/bounce more in recoil (esp if you're shooting factory ammo). A salesmen once gave me this example: remember Will Smith in Men In Black? The 'Cricket' gun threw him across the room. Everybody thinks they want a 'Cricket' and discounts how it'll really perform. The least recoil I've ever felt was a big revolver that shot .454 Cassul!

Live fire polymer guns, guns with alloy frames and steel frames (don't discount a 9mm 1911). Borrow, rent at a range; see what she likes best, no preconceptions, no restrictions. Buy based on HER experience.

Excellent advice!!!! So far she has fired an S&W Sigma, Kimber Pro CDP .45, Para P14-45, Para P12-45, Ruger PS9, S&W Mod 19 2.5", S&W Mod 66 6", Sig 2022(9mm), S&W 625 (45acp) as well as a couple others. I am not trying to make the decision for her, but want her to be as comfortable as possible no matter what she decides. Right now she is also considering a Para LDA P18-9. That may make a very good compromise for her and cover about every thing.

Thank You

Edited by steveyacht

+1 on the m&p. Bought one for my wife months ago. She loves it. It felt more comfortable to her than any other gun she shot or held. She liked it so much that I had to go buy her the Pro. So, save some money and buy the Pro first.

Good luck!

I think you're talking apples and oranges. Something that my wife would use for matches would be a full sized gun. Concealed carry would be much more compact. Concealing a full sized handgun is hard enough for a man to do.I bought her a LDA 9 for carry, she loves it. But for matches she shoots the M&P with the small back strap on it. She likes the feel of my xdm/9 but I keep telling her, "that's my toy, that's my toy"

Edited by Ray_Z

I'm new to the site - and a new handgun shooter as well - but would cast my vote for the XDM. I've owned a G19, Beretta 92FS, and Sig 226 but none felt as good in my hand - or shot as well as the XDM. (YMMV) Just picked one up myself and have about 250 rounds through it. Absolutely fantastic in every way for me - but I'd suggest getting one in the hand and shooting it if you can.

New%20Gun%204.jpg

The major problem I have with the SR9 - aside from the sucky trigger - is that the slide cocking grooves are extraordinarily sharp. I shoot with a straight thumbs grip with the shooting hand thumb touching the slide. Within 50 rounds, the SR9's slide cocking grooves had ground through the callous on my right thumb, was down into the flesh, and I was smearing blood back and forth across the slide with every shot. I'll pass, thanks. :(

• 1 month later...
I think you're talking apples and oranges. Something that my wife would use for matches would be a full sized gun. Concealed carry would be much more compact. Concealing a full sized handgun is hard enough for a man to do.I bought her a LDA 9 for carry, she loves it. But for matches she shoots the M&P with the small back strap on it. She likes the feel of my xdm/9 but I keep telling her, "that's my toy, that's my toy"

I bought the XDM9, love it. I like the changeable backstrap.

My wife looked at xd's and ruger sr9 (ruger makes great single actions), and bought a M&P 40, shot a box of bullets through it, and said buy me a magwell, and do some work to it (FO front site, trigger from powder river) and now shoots limited, & i bought one for production, great gun. ray

+1 on the m&p. Bought one for my wife months ago. She loves it. It felt more comfortable to her than any other gun she shot or held. She liked it so much that I had to go buy her the Pro. So, save some money and buy the Pro first.

Good luck!

How has the reliability of the Pro been for her? I'm so close to pulling the trigger on one, but the issues I keep hearing about kind of scare me.