Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading

rvb

I try not to hate it, but I cannot bring myself to love it. I have two 1050s and a KISS feeder for that exact reason. Anything that helps get me through it faster is a must.

:surprise: 2 1050's are they a bitch to set up is that why you have 2? my 550 is pretty easy between 9mm and 40 so 2 seems like .......................you have to much damn money!

Not after buying two 1050s! :lol:

Actually, since I purchased them a few years apart it wasn't too painful. I had to wait to save extra money but it was worth the wait and the investment.

My idea of a caliber conversion is taking two steps to the side.

There. I said it. I hate reloading. It's a chore. A necessary evil to shoot. I'd rather be shooting or dryfiring or drinking a beer while watching TV.

I've been doing a lot of reloading lately so I hopefully will have to do very little come spring/summer. I have to convince myself I need to do it every time I decide to go load.

Before I started reloading I heard so many people talk about how much they love to reload and how it's a hobby in itself and how it relaxes them, etc. I have decided they are all damn liars. Ever since when I hear someone say how much they enjoy reloading I offer to bring over a big box of components and they can call me when they are done. Hours of free fun for them, right? No one has ever taken me up on the offer. :ph34r:

Ok. I'm done complaining.

If you want to write a rebuttal in the form of "I'd love to load your ammo for you" you may do so. :roflol:

-rvb

It can be a pain, but with the 1050 and a Kiss bullet feeder I just spend a couple of short sessions in my reloading room (a large closet) every week. I find it relaxing. Before I dedicated a space for it I used to hate loading in the garage...nothing like putting on bug spray and sweating in the garage in the summer in Houston. Dedicated space for a loading area helps alot. Loading in my spare time is betterthan having to load to feed my habit!

I usually case gauge about 25 minutes after I am supposed to leave for the match, then put the landing gear up and FLY to the match. If it is really tight on time I can usually call a buddy and have them sign me up so I can put my belt on during the shooters meeting.

I need a day stretcher badly.

You and me both Howard. I only case gauge for the major matches, and I usually do that in the hotel room the night before. :ph34r:

well I guess I am one of the few that does enjoy reloading. I have 2 650's and I DO RELOAD for buddies. I usually only load around 300-500 rounds at one sitting. I will fill up my 10 primer tubes while watching TV and will load when i'm bored, sometimes i'll just go in there and load 50-60 rounds and then stop. I have an entire spare bedroom converted into a reloading room.

Reloading for shotshells is cool if you are loading only one box. Try loading 8-10 boxes on a single-stage MEC Sizemaster in a hurry for a weekend trap shoot. I now gladly pay extra for a flat of factory shells if I can afford them.

My limit on pistol reloading is around 200 before I get bored, but way more fun than shotshells.

Everyone,

Thanks for the reply's and the laughs!

Addressing some of your comments:

If I could afford to shoot as much as I do with factory ammo, I would. That's the "necessary evil" part of my original thread. If fact I'm starting to load even those calibers that I don't shoot as much. It used to be worth the cost to me to buy factory for them but now ammo costs are so crazy I'm forced to reload those, too. I'm past the point in my shooting that I think the ammo makes that much difference that I would be above shooting factory, but now it's all about the costs.

I used to load in the garage. Which meant that I had to reload around the weather, too. If it was 0 degrees out or 100 degrees out, I wasn't going out to do it. That also lead to doing bigger batches all at once. Now that I've moved, I just finished building a dedicated place to load in the basement so for the last couple of months I have been loading just a couple hundred a night here or there. I've put together maybe 5k in the last couple of months doing that. The downside it seems to me is it's even harder to get motivated when I'm just doing a couple hundred here or there.

No, I WON'T buy YOU a press to load my ammo for me. :wacko:

I WILL let you use MY press to load my ammo and feel free to use it for your own ammo, too. :cheers:

I think the real kicker is after all your comments realizing I'm going to have to shell out for a 1050 one day, just for my sanity. I like the idea of cranking out 2x the ammo (or more) compared to my 550. Maybe keep my 550 setup for large primer stuff which I shoot less of and use the 1050 for 9mm/38super and 223.

Here is my new reloading bench. It's "temporarily permanent" as I intend to start finishing the basement and then I'll enclose the whole area as a gun room. But I think it works well for now as is. I just finished the bench a couple months ago and did all the electrical a couple weeks ago.

post-6093-1230329451_thumb.jpg

rvb

Edited by rvb