Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sticking to the PLAN

Bigpops

Looking for a little advice here......I just started shooting IDPA and USPSA this summer and LOVE it. Not much frustrates me as I find this to be a blast (pardon the pun)...except ONE thing. I tend to formulate a great stage plan (usually with USPSA). I step up to the line....load up...the buzzer goes off and...duh, it all goes to crap.

Ok, maybe joking a little but I do have times to where my plan goes by the way side. Usually this is with multiple hidden targets, or ones that require movement before they come into view. My plan usually breaks down when I do not see what I saw when I walked the stage earlier or when I need to make up a shot and now changes my rythym.

What are some good strategies? How do you not over-complicate things? For you high level guys, do you break the stage down? Do you just learn from experience? Do shooters tend to make it more difficult than what it really is..like me?

Is there any good reference material out there to read (or view) that would teach good strategies for stage breakdowns?

Standing by....

BP

Looking for a little advice here......I just started shooting IDPA and USPSA this summer and LOVE it. Not much frustrates me as I find this to be a blast (pardon the pun)...except ONE thing. I tend to formulate a great stage plan (usually with USPSA). I step up to the line....load up...the buzzer goes off and...duh, it all goes to crap.

Ok, maybe joking a little but I do have times to where my plan goes by the way side. Usually this is with multiple hidden targets, or ones that require movement before they come into view. My plan usually breaks down when I do not see what I saw when I walked the stage earlier or when I need to make up a shot and now changes my rythym.

What are some good strategies? How do you not over-complicate things? For you high level guys, do you break the stage down? Do you just learn from experience? Do shooters tend to make it more difficult than what it really is..like me?

Is there any good reference material out there to read (or view) that would teach good strategies for stage breakdowns?

Standing by....

BP

This is something that I have gotten better with over time. I think the fact that I have done quite a bit of stage building and seen alot of scenarios, has helped tremendous. When I first started shooting I would have a way or two to shot a stage and I would fumble it or combine the 2 ideas to make it a disastarous stage when the buzzer sounds. Now, I look at a stage and tell myself go to this spot shoot 4 targets goto to this spot shoot steel, paper paper, drop turner, go to this spot shoot 4 targets and thats it. After I simplify the stage then I look at other ways that I can save time, or make it a better plan. and I spend the rest of the time looking at ways to save .30 or 1/2 second here and there, I guess you could say the little things that add up. which include footwork, reloads, hitting certain spots, which foot to lead with or enter with, when to push my foot speed shooting on the move etc etc. Visualization has helped alot, after I have nailed the way I want to shot it then you can visualize the scenario multiple times before you shoot it. Actually I found that over time you find that the stages you see become pretty simple, and pretty much the same over and over,and it takes alot to challenge you, at least with me. Just keep shooting, you will reach stages in your shooting which take you to new hieghts and higer levels of confidence and awareness.

good luck!

PK

Standing by....

BP

This is something that I have gotten better with over time. I think the fact that I have done quite a bit of stage building and seen alot of scenarios, has helped tremendous. When I first started shooting I would have a way or two to shot a stage and I would fumble it or combine the 2 ideas to make it a disastarous stage when the buzzer sounds. Now, I look at a stage and tell myself go to this spot shoot 4 targets goto to this spot shoot steel, paper paper, drop turner, go to this spot shoot 4 targets and thats it. After I simplify the stage then I look at other ways that I can save time, or make it a better plan. and I spend the rest of the time looking at ways to save .30 or 1/2 second here and there, I guess you could say the little things that add up. which include footwork, reloads, hitting certain spots, which foot to lead with or enter with, when to push my foot speed shooting on the move etc etc. Visualization has helped alot, after I have nailed the way I want to shot it then you can visualize the scenario multiple times before you shoot it. Actually I found that over time you find that the stages you see become pretty simple, and pretty much the same over and over,and it takes alot to challenge you, at least with me. Just keep shooting, you will reach stages in your shooting which take you to new hieghts and higer levels of confidence and awareness.

good luck!

PK

Thanks PK...you make some good points.

When you break the stage down, do you also take into account your round counts? In other words, do you factor a miss or makeup shot? On some stages I feel it is best (for me) to just think like you stated "stand here and shoot 4 targets....move, reload", instead of "fire 8 shots...now I have X number of bullets" etc etc.

I just started USPSA this year and still have a lot of problems with "brain dump" upon the sound of the buzzer. I do best when I just slow down and not let myself get "flummoxed" (I like that word).

One thing I would like to do is to find copies of actual stages shot at various club level matches that I can study.

I just started USPSA this year and still have a lot of problems with "brain dump" upon the sound of the buzzer. I do best when I just slow down and not let myself get "flummoxed" (I like that word).

One thing I would like to do is to find copies of actual stages shot at various club level matches that I can study.

Graham...excuse me if you already know this but you can dowload the qualifier stages from the USPSA website. That sort of helps. Some of them are a little more complex than others.

This was a real problem for me too. I have been shooting since 2001. I dropped out for a few years and started back about a year ago. Only in the last few months have been able to shake the 'brain fart' issue. I have great video footage of me running a stage completely lost after a gun malfunction or other issue.

I think that it has gone away with time. I try to visualize the stage before I shoot, but once I get to the line, I do not think of anything. I try to take a breath and clear my mind as I wait for the beep.

I found this old thread by doing a search for thread title's with "visualize":

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...mp;hl=visualize

(and sorry but the ikonboard links in a couple posts are not going to work)

be

That thread is awesome. I also tend to blow stages when my plan gets interrupted. Last month at a match I missed a piece of steal that caused me to have to reload where I had not planned to which threw me off completely and although the stage felt pretty good, the RO shrugged when I finished and said the dreaded, "Two mikes, one FTE" Doh! I'm definitely going to work on learning to respond.

Edited by Rob D

I try to keep my plan simple when dealing with a stage. I determine what path I will take to move through the stage, know where I will have to reload, make sure that I have more than enough ammo to deal with the stage, and aim to put two shots on every valid cardboard target along with knocking down all the valid steel targets. ;)

There is nothing you can do about it. The frequency of the sound waves from the buzzer causes your mind to go blank for about 30 seconds or so. After that mental clarity returns so you can view the catastrophy that has unfolded while you were in never never land. Or aliens testing a mind control device prior to invasion. At least thats what i tell myself....while hiding in my tinfoil room. :wacko:

Seriously, confidence and practice make it go away. Or reduce it anyway.

I am not a great shooter but I have talked to some of the GM's at a few bigger matches. I was surprised to find that most only want to know the round count, how many steel, and if a mag change is required. Most do not want to get a plan in their mind ahead of time, they want to actually walk through the stage then make a game plan. If you watch a good shooter do a walk through you will start to understand this "visualize". As a CRO I try to keep my RO's from talking to the shooters on my stages because all shooters need to get their game plan in their head, the last thing you need before starting a stage is for someone to ask you a question about your equipment or how many different way can this stage be shot.

When I walk through a stage before shooting it, I lay out reload points. I shoot production or L-10 so I have only 10 rounds. I put my reload points in places where I will not forget targets and get failure to engauge, been there done that. This may not be the absolutly fastest but I wont forget targets, steel or paper. What divison do you shoot?

When I walk through a stage before shooting it, I lay out reload points. I shoot production or L-10 so I have only 10 rounds. I put my reload points in places where I will not forget targets and get failure to engauge, been there done that. This may not be the absolutly fastest but I wont forget targets, steel or paper. What divison do you shoot?

I have much the same mindset that you do. I shoot revolver division so knowing the necessary reload points is important. I have yet to have a failure to engage in USPSA, and prepare as best I can not to in the future. ;)

I have much the same mindset that you do. I shoot revolver division so knowing the necessary reload points is important. I have yet to have a failure to engage in USPSA, and prepare as best I can not to in the future. ;)

Revolver requires more reloads in groups of 6, hard to do. The local match director is shooting revolver this year so alot of the stages are set up in sixes, throws me off setting up reload points where I use only half my magazine.

Well bigpops, I guess my plan wont work that great since you are reloading only once.

Revolver requires more reloads in groups of 6, hard to do. The local match director is shooting revolver this year so alot of the stages are set up in sixes, throws me off setting up reload points where I use only half my magazine.

:lol: I have to tip my hat to your local match director. I have had to deal with so many arrays that require 7 or eight shots that it amuses me to hear that arrays that require no more than 6 are causing planning issues. :lol:

I hate having to go from one array to the next with only 1 to 5 left in the revolver and having to do a standing reload. Stages break down oddly for me a majority of the time, but I have started getting more accustomed to it. I have become more flexible and simplified my planning due to the challenges that I have faced. Now I just need to pick up the pace and challenge some more of those other revolver auto shooters out there that I have competed with. :blush:

It warms my heart to thing that a 6 shot array could challenge shooters that have higher capacity than revolvers. :D

Edited by Blueridge

:lol: I have to tip my hat to your local match director. I have had to deal with so many arrays that require 7 or eight shots that it amuses me to hear that arrays that require no more than 6 are causing planning issues. :lol:

I hate having to go from one array to the next with only 1 to 5 left in the revolver and having to do a standing reload. Stages break down oddly for me a majority of the time, but I have started getting more accustomed to it. I have become more flexible and simplified my planning due to the challenges that I have faced. Now I just need to pick up the pace and challenge some more of those other revolver auto shooters out there that I have competed with. :blush:

It warms my heart to thing that a 6 shot array could challenge shooters that have higher capacity than revolvers. :D

I feel your pain, I hate having to do standing reloads usually end up doing them slower trying to go faster. But bey thats what makes it fun to be in certain divisions, the challanges presented. I like having to reload often (L-10 instead of Limited) it adds more to the expreience and fun. I have been waiting till my next match and its comming up next weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

What plan!?? :surprise: :surprise:

Simple is always better for me. And, after i get something together, i try to go through the stage in my head 3 times. That helps me a BUNCH. Now, do i always get to? NO. lol

Whenever i start a stage with the mindset of just winging it, major suck.

Now, i'm still a newbie so i don't feel qualified to give any advise, but that's something that helps me.

Tom

What plan!?? :surprise: :surprise:

Simple is always better for me. And, after i get something together, i try to go through the stage in my head 3 times. That helps me a BUNCH. Now, do i always get to? NO. lol

Whenever i start a stage with the mindset of just winging it, major suck.

Now, i'm still a newbie so i don't feel qualified to give any advise, but that's something that helps me.

Tom

Tom you make a great point...keep it simple.

Sometimes I tend to "overthink" things. :cheers: