Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

This could work well in a bay

In the holiday spirit here is another from the collection. This one is for you lucky folks with shooting bays. Please feel free to use this as long as you give due credit.

Not a lot of movement as is but, you could add a row of no-shoots just past the shooting area to make a little more movement. If you move the shooting box up range it could become very difficult. Of course you could alway sprinkle in more no-shoots and black paint. I think that this one would challenge all skill levels.

It is also very R.O. friendly.

enjoy,

p2000lefty

Help_from_the_Edge.doc

We have used a similar stage at out club. Bringingthe shooting box up range (as you mentioned above) forces the shooter to move from one side to the other to engage the targets. Alternating near and far targets makes one work on transitions. Fun Stage to shoot.

thanks for putting it on paper.

dj

Hey Rocket35,

Thank you! I am actually designing for your old stomping grounds at Springbrook. Unfortunately, I started shooting after you had moved. We are in the off season up here and I am getting antsy. Even Schultz's is not holding a match until March!

-p2000lefty

Hey Rocket35,

Thank you! I am actually designing for your old stomping grounds at Springbrook. Unfortunately, I started shooting after you had moved. We are in the off season up here and I am getting antsy. Even Schultz's is not holding a match until March!

-p2000lefty

Cool! It was a challenge to design good stages for Springbrook. Have they started building burms for pistol bays yet? I am surprised that Schultz's isn't shooting any matches. :huh:

The off season really drags up there huh?! I am enjoying 4 matches a month all year out here. Especially since I will be getting the weekends off from work now.

Good luck and hope the "off season" goes quick for ya. ;)

Thank you all for taking the time.

Rodeo Clown- Thank you and let me know how it works for you and your shooters.

shootingchef- First, let me say how jealous I am that you have steel framed walls. Second, I don't see where your walls would get shot up? Maybe move the targets farther away from the walls? How do you usually deal with this problem?

Rocket35- You don't need to rub salt in the wounds of winter in Wisconsin. I am jealous with your all year shooting season. The shooting bays project is a slow process as all committee and constitutional things are. We are just happy that the ball continues to slowly roll along. It is still a trap club and you remember how that works. I remain optimistic.

DVC,

p2000lefty

shootingchef- First, let me say how jealous I am that you have steel framed walls. Second, I don't see where your walls would get shot up? Maybe move the targets farther away from the walls? How do you usually deal with this problem?

Haven't solved the problem, these are our first steel frames, I once saw a shooter shoot 3 times through a steel frame, I am stuck with the memory and am looking for solutions to protect my new frames.

shootingchef,

If I pretend that I had steel framed walls I may use no shoots to cover the frame when they may get shot. At least then you can penalize them for not respecting the property. You're probably spending too much of your good energy worrying about the walls when they are used for a shooting sport. Enjoy them and find a range member who knows how to weld and become his good friend. Or ship them up to Wisconsin and I can send you some already shot up wood frame walls that you do not have to be concerned about. ;)

DVC,

p2000lefty

Edited by p2000lefty

thanks for the offer, but i'll paint them white and hope for the best. no shoots are good.

No shoots are bad. Nothing defines a new stage designer faster than sticking up a bunch of no shoots. Moving the shooting box/area closer to the walls lessens the angles while keeping the transitions. I hope the steel frames are not very thick or they might shoot back.

p2000lefty -

I was with shootingchef at our match when we ran a couple of stages with similar angles.

On "Walk the Line" we kept the targets 'tight against the walls' (to make sure the shooter had to move to see all the targets), and at 10 yards, I watched one shooter hit the 1" wide metal framed wall twice while missing the target.

On "Small Spaces", the fault lines touched the base of the walls and the targets were not so 'tight against the walls'. No one hit the metal frames.

LPatterson makes a good point about moving the fault lines closer to the walls.

Play with it a bit to make sure the targets don't "hug the walls" too closely and it will save your wall frames.

joseywales,

Thank you for the suggestions. Other readers should definitely think about this when they build the stage and consider their wall frames.

I like the tough shot and I have limited space to work in and we are ok with the fact that our wooden wall frames may get shot a few times.

Thank you for sharing your stages. I love them! Do you mind if I submit them at my home club? I will give you full credit of course.

-p2000lefty

... Do you mind if I submit them at my home club? I will give you full credit of course.-p2000lefty

If my bullets fit your gun...you shoot 'em!

Not a whole lot new under the sun with these stages...I'm sure that I saw these, or something like these, somewhere either in person or on the net, and it spawned an idea and I just happened to put it to paper.

As I recall, these were good shooting tests.

• 4 weeks later...

I set this one up this weekend in one of our larger bays and it went over very well. The accuracy requirement was high on this stage and I did not force the shooter to move too much. I moved a few targets to the inside of the 'slices' nearest the shooter really that required them to lean out to engage. Thanks for the stage! Results are here.

Norm

nbright,

It looks like a good match. You get a great turn out there. I hope that everyone enjoyed the stages. I thought that people would post more stages for comments and to share.

Thank you for posting the results. Looks like it was challenging for all divisions and classes.

DVC,

p2000lefty