Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G34: improvement mods?

surfdog

What is the recommended recoil spring setup given the rest of the gun is stock?

The OEM Recoil Spring is 17 lbs; most people leave it stock. I played around with 11, 13 and 15 lbs and settled on the 13 lbs. Call it personal preference...

The OEM Recoil Spring is 17 lbs; most people leave it stock. I played around with 11, 13 and 15 lbs and settled on the 13 lbs. Call it personal preference...

So a 13lb recoil spring is not too light to use with a stock firing pin spring?

The 11 lbs might be too light if you are planning on using the OEM striker spring (the jury is still out on this) but the 13 lbs will work just fine.

Has anyone mentioned an aftermarket barrel as an upgrade? The original barrel is already accurate but the KKM barrels will give you match grade accuracy. No problem taking head shots at 25 yards.

Personally, I see no good reason to "upgrade" the OEM barrel; I even shoot bare lead though my Glock barrels (just lead).

It might be --- different guns require different springs. I got one of my 34s to run happily with 12 lb. springs and a reduced power striker spring; the others required at least a 13 lb. spring.....

At 14 lbs. the 13 lb. spring guns would run happily with a stock striker spring; the 12 lb. gun wouldn't do it until we got to 15 lbs......

• 2 weeks later...
As soon as you get the gun, swap out the extended slide lock lever and replace it with the standard slide lock lever.

The ESLL has been known to cause operator-created jams. Other then that, shoot the G34 for a while and get to know it.

As the months pass, you may want to consider other mods like polishing the internals ( $.25 triggerjob) and adding TruGrip (best grip tape on the market). Since you already have a rockin' set of sights, that really is about it.

+1 again. I have been shooting a 34 for some years now and the extended slide lock caused me to lock open the slide on several occasions.

Has anyone mentioned an aftermarket barrel as an upgrade? The original barrel is already accurate but the KKM barrels will give you match grade accuracy. No problem taking head shots at 25 yards.

With decent ammo, the stock barrel is already capable of that. Aftermarket barrels don't offer much of an advantage in our game IMO and increase the risk of occasional ammo-related feed problems with their tighter chambers.

Curtis

Edited: 'cause I hate typos!

Edited by BayouSlide

How's this for basis?

I have a 3Gen G23, I shot it twice looked at the bulged cases and wouldn't shoot it again until I installed a KKM barrel.

What you do is your business, there are some Glock barrels I don't deal with. I will further clarify, they are 40SW, 10MM and 45ACP.

Your experience with your Glock 23 may or may not be unique to your pistol but, at least in my experience, I see no reason to shy away from reloading brass shot through an OEM Glock barrel (regardless of caliber). I will concede though that I use a Lee FCD in the last station of my reloading setup and I also know if many people that also use the EGW-U die.

I will add that it was not my intention to ruffle any feathers and apologize if my comment offended you.

*QUOTE*

I will add that it was not my intention to ruffle any feathers and apologize if my comment offended you.

You didn't, sorry if my post seemed to indicate offense. After I installed the KKM barrel no further problems, and after many matches it remains 100% reliable. I have 6 9mm Glocks+the 40. Two of my G34s have KKM barrels, they are open 9mm major guns. The other G34 has a factory barrel and shoots SSP/PRODUCTION. I have read many postings about bulged cases w/10mm and have seen numerous Glock bellies on 40 and 45ACP cases.

I like the Glock as a shooting platform for competition (no thumb safety) as for my carry G26, it doesn't get a round in the chamber. If the damn things didn't have such a low bore axis, weren't so reliable, cheap and easy to work on I'd look for something. But for now if I want to shoot other than 9mm or 357 Sig(no interest) I would use a KKM replacement barrel.

But hey, different strokes for different folks. If your happy--I'm happy.;)

*QUOTE*

Do a 25 cent trigger job on it,

Better yet, learn how to do a real trigger job. As to the 9mm barrel, it's fine for minor. Glock barrels get scary in 40, 10 and 45.

That's really a little bit silly. Just because the brass is expanded more doesn't mean they are any more or less scary than a 9 barrel in Minor. In fact, a Major load in .45 almost certainly has a lower pressure than normal factory 9mm Minor, so your'e more at risk with the 9 than you are the .45.

The dimensions of the chambers do allow the case to expand a couple of thousandths more than a KKM will, but when it does it's well supported and won't cause anything other than somewhat shorter case life.

I get to see literally hundreds of thousands of rounds of .40 fired through Glocks and I have yet to see a failure with full power, Major ammo.

The amount of support between a factory Glock .40 barrel and a match .40 1911 barrel is a few thousandths of an inch different in most cases.

Schuemann AET Classic in .40 versus G22:

P1010025.jpg

To the OP....back to the topic at hand, the only thing you really need to add to that G34 is practice, and lots of it. A simple trigger job might be nice later, but don't worry about it in the beginning. Some of the best don't really do anything to the trigger on their G34/35s. If you find the extended slide stop lever causes problems (premature lock back), as many do, ditch it for the standard version.

Atlanta Arms & Ammo 147gr JHP load is really good stuff and should make Minor easily in your gun. Accuracy will vary from gun to gun, but it seems to work very well in most Glocks. R,

Edited by G-ManBart

At a match a friend of mine had a 40 w/stock barrel blow up in his hand, he didnt think "That's really a little bit silly."

Factory ammo in a dead stock gun? Every time I ask that I get something along the lines of "well, not exactly".

In watching many hundreds of thousands of rounds of .40 go down range in Glocks, and know of millions more that we use each year without fail, that leads me to suspect something other than the gun/factory barrel at fault. The highest PF I've chrono'd from gov't contract .40 ammo was 198PF out of one of my G22s....plenty stout and no KB's reported with that stuff.

Again, a .45 Glock is running lower pressures than a 9mm Glock and the .40 is running roughly identical pressures, so the logic falls apart there.

Regardless, the OP is talking about a G34 so unless he's considering shooting lead there really isn't any need for an aftermarket barrel. If he's inclined to shoot lead, in any Glock, a KKM or other aftermarket barrel would be a wise choice. R,

I'm sure your right, he was no doubt limp wristing.

Good Luck!!!

Yeah, actually, I am right. We shoot millions of rounds a year through Glock .40s and they never blow up, but folks shooting their own ammo through modified guns suddenly have problems? Of course they (or their friends) won't give an answer when anybody asks about the ammo or gun....imagine that.

The funny thing is I generally dislike Glocks :sick:

For the OP, don't forget you'll need a holster (if you don't have one already). Blade-Tech DOH and Comp-Tac (their new DOH looks like a winner) are probably the two most popular.

Edit to add: Sorry for the thread drift, back to your regularly scheduled G34 improvement thread (short answer, practice!).

Edited by G-ManBart