Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problems with new computer and the internet

Just got a new Dell. It came with vista and macafee. I have a surf board 4200 USB model plugged into a USB port. I've talked to 4 Dell techs, that was an experience, I've also talked to my local provider's techs and got no where both times.

Here is my issues. I can get online, obviously, but its like my internet will drop out for some reason. I'll be surfing along then I get the error message, "can't open page" or what ever it is that says it can't go there. After I refresh a few times it pops up. Its a major PITA and not acceptable for a new computer. I spend 6 hours, no kidding, 6 hours last night trying to get this thing to work. Something esle weird that will happen is that if it can't go to the web page it opens google with the exact address I just typed!!

I'm lead to believe its either my modem or macafee. I can get online so I'm doubting the modem issues.

Just got a new Dell. It came with vista and macafee. I have a surf board 4200 USB model plugged into a USB port. I've talked to 4 Dell techs, that was an experience, I've also talked to my local provider's techs and got no where both times.

Here is my issues. I can get online, obviously, but its like my internet will drop out for some reason. I'll be surfing along then I get the error message, "can't open page" or what ever it is that says it can't go there. After I refresh a few times it pops up. Its a major PITA and not acceptable for a new computer. I spend 6 hours, no kidding, 6 hours last night trying to get this thing to work. Something esle weird that will happen is that if it can't go to the web page it opens google with the exact address I just typed!!

I'm lead to believe its either my modem or macafee. I can get online so I'm doubting the modem issues.

Disable Macafee and see it it works right.... :mellow:

I would if I could find the off button!

Does macafee have a little icon in the bottom right corner, you can hover over, right click and get some options to turn it off?

Does macafee have a little icon in the bottom right corner, you can hover over, right click and get some options to turn it off?

nope

On top of that, I can get my dell 922 printer to scan to my computer but by damn it won't print from my computer!! It asks for the disk to install the drivers and I insert the disk and it says drivers are all up to date but still won't print!!!!

Click on the McAfee button, bottom right corner. Click on "Open SecurityCenter". Click on Internet. Disable them and try again. BUT, be sure and go back and turn them on. Corey, I really doubt if McAfee is your problem.

Good Luck,

A.T.

Vista sucks and it and Explorer don't seem to get along well. Download Firefox and switch to it as your browser.

Rich

I'm trying that now and it seems to be doing the same thing. I like how I had to have the newest windows....vista....couldn't just go with XP that worked.

I would yank out McAfee. Not just turn it off; I mean completely uninstall it and run a different antivirus system. Maybe a free one that still works like Grisoft AV. I know a lot of people think Symantec (Norton) is a resource hog, but it's positively svelte compared to McAfee. Every time I've seen that stuff, it's the pre-eminent resource hog on the computer by far and everything else on the system is dragging badly. And every time I've uninstalled it, all the performance problems promptly disappeared.

My guess is you do not have the latest modem driver for Vista. If you have another computer download the latest driver and install it.

I went online and couldn't find a vista driver for it.....

Oh and Chris its a run of the mill home desktop that everybody has not some super racey computer with optical devices and extra ports. :rolleyes:

My guess is you do not have the latest modem driver for Vista. If you have another computer download the latest driver and install it.

Oh and Chris its a run of the mill home desktop that everybody has not some super racey computer with optical devices and extra ports. :rolleyes:

Steel,

I have a new Dell with Vista Internet explorer and McAfee running fine.

Must be operator error. :surprise:

Kind of surprised a throwback narrow gun shooter would be so state of the art!

I would look at the IE in MS and see if you have the latest and greatest downloaded.

Good luck,

Bill W.

I had a problem with my computer doing the same as yours as far as being on the internet. Turns out I had a wireless router issue and had to connect the computer to the router with a cable to get everything straightened out. Are you on a wireless router or physically plugged in?

Steel,

I have a new Dell with Vista Internet explorer and McAfee running fine.

Must be operator error. :surprise:

Kind of surprised a throwback narrow gun shooter would be so state of the art!

I would look at the IE in MS and see if you have the latest and greatest downloaded.

Good luck,

Bill W.

How else would I be able to talk smack :-) and I'm not doubting its operator error in the slightest...I mean I did let ONE production shoot be me at the hillbilly.

Bill how are you connected?