Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Load for 158 gr. Berrys with clays

Rick B

Any suggestions on a load for a 38 special around a 120 to 125 power factor? I will be using a 158 Berrys round nose and regular Clays powder. Thanks

Rick - I recommend you try a different powder. You can't get near that PF within published data. About four grains of Titegroup will put you in the ballpark, but it burns too hot for my liking. 4.3 grains of TG makes a 130 PF from my 4" guns. The max +P loads of PB, 7625 and 4756 make just under 800 fps from a 4", so if it's for a 6" gun they might work. PB and 7625 were pretty clean, 4756 was pretty dirty.

I'm in the search mode for 158 grain Rainiers, which should be pretty close. I'm looking at 231 and Solo 1250 as my next tries.

Any suggestions on a load for a 38 special around a 120 to 125 power factor? I will be using a 158 Berrys round nose and regular Clays powder. Thanks

Rick - I recommend you try a different powder. You can't get near that PF within published data. About four grains of Titegroup will put you in the ballpark, but it burns too hot for my liking. 4.3 grains of TG makes a 130 PF from my 4" guns. The max +P loads of PB, 7625 and 4756 make just under 800 fps from a 4", so if it's for a 6" gun they might work. PB and 7625 were pretty clean, 4756 was pretty dirty.

I'm in the search mode for 158 grain Rainiers, which should be pretty close. I'm looking at 231 and Solo 1250 as my next tries.

+1, Clays and Berrys is great ICORE load, but never could make Minor safely, especially with plated bullets. 231 and titegroup would be better choices.

I don't think it's in the books but I use 4.0 grns of Clays and the Berrys 158 RN DS at 1.50 OAL

Gives about 125 pf IIRC out of my 6 inch ported 627 8 shot

Never noticed anything bad about it, use the same load for 150 grn LRN also.

This was with RP brass and Starline 38 spcl.

As always, use at your own risk.

Dave - Book max is 3.2 grains...just FYI.

I realize that rev, I tried the max using Clays 38 spcl data and saw that it was

WAY under powered, that's how I came up with the 4.0 load.

357 Mag data lists 4.6 grns as max so I felt I was safe.

Now, back to RickB, if your looking for a load for a 20-30 yr old airweight,

then don't use the above, if your looking for a load for a 38/357 mag revo

then the posted load of 3.9/4.0 might do the trick.

AND !!! that's with a plated Berry's type soft lead or lead rnd nose load,

all bets are off if you switch to jacketed bullet heads.

:surprise:

Dave - If you're using it in a .357, you're fine. I've got several .38s though, so I wouldn't want something that much over the book load around. 3.4 grains makes the PF with 160 grain Billy Bullet RNLs from my 6" M14. I'm guessing that's +P territory, since the book only shows standard pressure.

Dave - Book max is 3.2 grains...just FYI.

I realize that rev, I tried the max using Clays 38 spcl data and saw that it was

WAY under powered, that's how I came up with the 4.0 load.

357 Mag data lists 4.6 grns as max so I felt I was safe.

Now, back to RickB, if your looking for a load for a 20-30 yr old airweight,

then don't use the above, if your looking for a load for a 38/357 mag revo

then the posted load of 3.9/4.0 might do the trick.

AND !!! that's with a plated Berry's type soft lead or lead rnd nose load,

all bets are off if you switch to jacketed bullet heads.

:surprise:

+1