Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

No Red Bull @ bars

Mike Dame

If I wanted a vodka mixed with some cheap & nasty tasting energy drink I would ask for that, but I don't. If you don't have it fine, let me know and I'll drink something else, but I hate when bars substitute what ever they have instead and not tell you.

Edited by Mike Dame

Redbull has spies just for that - if the bar actually sells Redbull, and you order a drink such as a Redbull/vodka or whatever, they have to give you the real thing - straight out of the can. If not, Redbull will either not sell to them or give em hell over it. At least that's the way it was a few years ago. A friend of mine had the job of being that 'spy'.

As a former bartender, there are two possible reasons why Red Bull is not served there:

1) Some restaurants (IIRC Fridays is one) do not serve "party booze" such as 151 and Jager, citing that they are only used to get hammered quickly. I don't really agree with this viewpoint, but it is up to the stuffy big-wigs.

2) Bars that have Red Bull in cans have to keep CLOSE tabs on them, as employees often help themselves to the Bull stash. This can quickly cause the bar to hemorrhage money. Their solution (and a poor one at that) is putting a Red Bull substitute in the soda guns. Although it is much cheaper, the quality is significantly diminished.

I must admit I am a fan of the Red Bull and intoxicating additives. But deep down I know it has to be horrible for you. Thankfully I don't drink often at all. So my liver has time to process that death in a glass.