Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are "Plastic" Magazines for ARs Any Good?

MichiganShootist

IMO the PMags are the only way to go. I've also converted over to the Nordic extensions. I've ran reliable steel 40 rounders for years but once I tried the pmag I was hooked. I'm currently trying to buy all that I can find which has been increasingly difficult. Good luck.

brownells has

Fusil USA AR-15/M16 30-Round Steel Magazine

In stock! Newly designed, 30-round magazine features a strong one-piece steel body built to handle the roughest combat and tactical operations. Precision manufactured to ISO 9001:2000 quality management standards to exceed DoD specs for USGI magazines. Advanced features include a tilt-resistant steel follower and stainless steel spring that ensure even pressure on the round stack for smooth, jam-free feeding.

these are IN STOCK, get them while you can!! :cheers:

To get back to the main question of the OP, the other plastic mags available out there are the Orlites and Themolds. Both are a military design. Canada used Thermolds, Israel used Orlites. I've used them both and went back to USGI metal mags, as I had feed and drop free issues with the other ones. Could have been my lowers (actually I know it was my lowers). Find what works in your guns and buy a bunch of them. (HINT: USGI design will tend to work in any lower)

I have used the Orlites for a couple years now in my RRA lower with absolutely no problems. I recently found some PMAGS with the little window and they also drop free in both of my AR's.

My local sponsor got a shipment of 18 PMAGS and I just happened to walk into the store the day he got them. B) I picked up 5 right away. Someone else bought 11 and another guy took the last 2. Just good timing I guess. :rolleyes:

I have several P-Mags, They all were made in 2008, they all function and drop free in the Colts, Bushmaster and RRA rifles that I have (most of the time they are left loaded, sometimes full, sometimes partially, but with the covers onall the time). I have not had any issues with them. I also have not had any issues with factory Colts, Brownells or C-Products aluminum 30rd. mags in the same rifles. The P-Mags are easier to seat when fully loaded than mil surplus mags though. I have also noticed that when coupled together, the rounds don't "walk" out of the mag on the outside of the rifle as bad as the aluminum mags, so mag changes are a little easier there as well.

Hurley