Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI or STI frame

E5MC

I'm looking to have a 2011 style pistol in 9mm built. I am just starting my homework as to which frame to purchase. I kinda want a Colt or traditional style slide mated to the frame. Is there a difference in quality between the two. Or is it a Ford vs Chevy debate. Thanks in advance for any help or opinions.

Thanks guy's, this is the type of info I was hoping for. As far as the slide is concerned, I should have been more specific. I want more of the traditional look such as a Colt slide. Will probably go with a Caspian or Baer with the more traditional look. I haven't ruled out an STI frame/slide combo, but don't particularly care for the slide serrations of the STI.

Thanks guy's, this is the type of info I was hoping for. As far as the slide is concerned, I should have been more specific. I want more of the traditional look such as a Colt slide. Will probably go with a Caspian or Baer with the more traditional look. I haven't ruled out an STI frame/slide combo, but don't particularly care for the slide serrations of the STI.

You can get a bald STI slide, but they don't do the traditional radius. I'd go with Caspian if that's the look you want.

If you are going to build the slide will be bald, not a cut on it, so you can influence what the serrations look like and other things like that. Pick a guy you like and trust, send him a check and wait for the blaster you get, it is a far better way than trying to micro manage the build. Guys do things the way they do for a reason, it works for them and they are comfortable with it, push them out of their comfort zone and you risk things not going as well as you hoped. I am not saying a good smith can't build what you want, I am saying you will probably be better served by buying what that smith is best at doing.

I thought SV stopped selling frames and went to selling just complete guns. That said, I currently have both. I will tell you that the machine work on the SV is second to none. No tool marks that I can find at all on my SV frame where there are some on my STI even after my smith polished a bunch of them out. This goes for slides and frames. Looking inside my SV slide everything is perfectly smooth. When looking inside my sti slide, there are obvious machine marks. The quality of machining just does not seem the same to me.

All that said, I don't believe the difference in machining makes a damn bit of difference in how the gun runs. Many many folks have had excellent results using the STI platform and I hope to do the same with mine. Let's face it, these guns are tools to some degree and pretty or not, the most important thing is that they run.

Edited by PatD

Just my thought on the two, STI- production run quality with a lower value, SVI- custom made quality with a higher value. Same technology/patent just two different ways of execution.

Rich

p.s. SVI frames are out there, you just have to look a little harder to find one.