Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moon Clip Holders

Gregg K

I thought that I would stick this up here for anyone else that has some of the original California Competition Works moon clip holders that IDPA decided was no longer legal since the post didn't protrude through the moon clip. There are many different fixes out there ranging from sticking a pencil down the middle and cutting it off to the new aluminum buttons that CCW offers. The buttons the CCW has are nice looking but they are $10 plus $7.50 shipping and it burns me to pay that much shipping for 1 oz. so here is my $1.50 answer.

I bought 1 5/16" X 6" carriage bolt and 4 nylon acorn nuts. I screwed on the acorn nut and then cut the bolt so that about 7/8" stuck out. There is enough bolt to easily do 4 holders. I ground the corners of the nut off and then chucked it up in my drill press and rounded it with a mill file. While I had it spinning I then took a hacksaw and trimmed the bottom of the nut off so that it would make a little shorter button. Hit it with a little sand paper and then screw the bolt into the center of the moon clip holder by hand. This was an easy solution since I don't own a lathe.

ClipButton1.jpg

Funny this is coming up. I'm shooting a revolver for the first time in IDPA Sunday. I have 2 of these California holders and was wondering what I was going to do for a middle "post"

A buddy stuck a .30 caliber rifle bullet in the center hole.

How did he stick the bullet on there? Super glue? Something else?

Thanks!