Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9X25 dillon data

mikeone

Just got a 9x25 and I want coo coo velocity.

already looked at glock talk and Lyman.

Dillon said they don't have data (HMMMM interesting???? :rolleyes: )

I wanna shoot 147s and use 3n38 powder

Also would cut down 6.8spc brass be stronger than 10mm?(not that its weak) both have .424 rim dia

Thanks Mike

I don't have all my old data on 9x25. So I'm not much help here.

Just wondering what the blaster is on this?

I ask because I'd like to better understand what you're trying to accomplish. Our original goal with the 9x25 was to shoot lighter bullets with slow powders. So we shot 115's with H110 powder. What that load did was gave us a ton of powder that burned slow enough to work the compensator at unequaled levels (at that time).

I personally loved the caliber and saw more success with it than any other time in my career. It was tough to make work, the guns were finicky. And we lost a little capacity in the deal. With that said, it was the only caliber that I could personally shoot .17 and .18 splits at 25 yards and do it with extreme confidence. It kicks hard, but has no muzzle rise whatso ever.

It's a fun caliber and I hope you're able to enjoy it as well.

Jack

Its on a glock lone wolf barrel and I have a 1911 bull barrel for my .40 sti. Im just playing with it for pins. and would like to smoke some coyotes also .

This caliber is so much fun. what a great personal defense number also ( flash retardant powders would be in order).

I am going to invest some good time on this baby. I wonder what kinda velocities could be reached with a 10 or 14 tc barrel

I still cannot believe that the gentleman at Dillon said they have no data.

I also believe the shoulders on my brass are moving forward IE headspace prob (datum datum datum)

Im also glad the lyman is posted online thanks.

Mike (the master of run on sentences)

Mike,

You have a PM on the data.

With new brass you can get away with some headspace issues and it is usually fine. Once you start reloading the stretched brass, you will pull cases apart unless you get the headspacing pretty darn close. Keep moving the shoulder out until you can feel that the the gun is closing tight and then shorten the case slightly until it functions reliably.

Leo

Its on a glock lone wolf barrel and I have a 1911 bull barrel for my .40 sti. Im just playing with it for pins. and would like to smoke some coyotes also .

This caliber is so much fun. what a great personal defense number also ( flash retardant powders would be in order)

Mike (the master of run on sentences)

I've always thought that one of those carbine conversions for a Glock or 1911 would rock in 9x25. Coyotes beware!

Whatever you do, be careful. I've heard 9x25 is pretty rough on your toys.

I was just reading one of my cartridge books and this little puppy has an

OGEE shoulder like a Weatherby cartridge.

ANd my headspace was CRAZY off Like .030 off, I guess we could just call it aggressive fireforming.

Im gonna get the specs for a reamer from Pacific tool or at least advice.

I wanna be safe and go as fast as possible ( Autobauhn Fast not F1 fast)

I built a Mech Tech carbine in 9x25 and it rocks. I threaded the barrel and built a comp for it and it is flat and soft. With N-105 I was able to achieve 2000 fps with 115 FMJ before the blow back mechanism was removing the bottleneck from the brass. Basically the action was opening while the pressure was still there, not a safe thing.

Clymer makes a 9x25 reamer and it is usually a stock item. I do not think that you need a reamer unless you intend to replace your barrel and chamber the new one yourself. I would recommend that you just build ammo to fit your chamber and forget about SAMMI specs.

Edited by L9X25

I built a Mech Tech carbine in 9x25 and it rocks. I threaded the barrel and built a comp for it and it is flat and soft. With N-105 I was able to achieve 2000 fps with 115 FMJ before the blow back mechanism was removing the bottleneck from the brass. Basically the action was opening while the pressure was still there, not a safe thing.

Clymer makes a 9x25 reamer and it is usually a stock item. I do not think that you need a reamer unless you intend to replace your barrel and chamber the new one yourself. I would recommend that you just build ammo to fit your chamber and forget about SAMMI specs.

Have you tried any other carbines in 9x25? 115 gr doing 2000 fps is getting close to AK velocities. :D

Have you tried any other carbines in 9x25? 115 gr doing 2000 fps is getting close to AK velocities. :D

The 9x25 carbine was just a fun experiment. We had a few local 3-gun matches that were being held at ranges that did not have the capacity to give more than 50-75 yard shots and the thought of reloading only one caliber of ammunition was appealing. When I saw how well the 9x25 performed in the carbine, I realized that AK velocities were within reach. I slowly increased the powder charge and the velocities climbed linearly. There were none of the usual primer pressure signs but we realized that the bottleneck was moving farther out on the case above 2000fps and it eventually disappeared. It is obvious that the blowback design was never inteded to operate at those pressures. We have a local guy that has been threatening to chamber an AR in 9x25, but that has not materialized. I have little doubt that 2200-2300 fps would be attainable in an AR type platform.

One of the old Guns-Annual-type books way back when had an article with heavy loads in the 9x25. Probably 1994 or so, but I know they didn't use 3N38 back then. I even ran across a copy in the used bookstore the other day, but passed after the wave of nostalgia subsided.. even though I have 2 9x25 barrels in the safe. ;)

FWIW, I would expect most IPSC-smiths from the early/mid 90's have a 9x25 reamer slowly rusting away in a drawer.