Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 'Upgrades'

Graham Smith

I think the nice thing about a Glock is that it will shoot and be reliable out of the box, unlike other firearms that need this or that done to make them run reliably. With my G34 for production; a Vanek trigger upgrade, Dawson sights, and that's about it. My Glock 35's; I put aftermarket barrels in them. I had a USP blow up in my hands one time, so a barrel in a firearm that isn't fully supported makes me nervous. Though I may not need the aftermarket barrels in the 35's; the piece of mind is priceless.

Did you feed that USP factory fodder or possibly a "stout" handload? I'd think a good ol' Teutonic shooting iron should handle standard ammo.. . Just curious...

Anyways, the Glock standard barrel accuracy thing. I believe those things are more accurate than most users. 12" steel at 100 yards is do-able, seen it and tried it.

I'm surprised no one ever complains about the Glock mags. Cracking those things open to clean them is a REAL PAIN, wish Production shooters had options when it comes to baseplates.

Nuff said.

Did you feed that USP factory fodder or possibly a "stout" handload? I'd think a good ol' Teutonic shooting iron should handle standard ammo.. . Just curious...

Anyways, the Glock standard barrel accuracy thing. I believe those things are more accurate than most users. 12" steel at 100 yards is do-able, seen it and tried it.

I'm surprised no one ever complains about the Glock mags. Cracking those things open to clean them is a REAL PAIN, wish Production shooters had options when it comes to baseplates.

Nuff said.

It was a case head separation running MG 230gr JHP. I loaded it with 4.4 gr of VVN320. I was using a powder check at the time, so I don't think it was a double charge and my crimp wasn't that tight, but it melted a nice little hole in the bottom of the cartridge along the ramp and blew the right side of the polymer frame off just over my index finger knuckle. It also blew the magazine all to hell. The weapon was jammed to a half opened breech position. Scared the shit out of me. I remember looking at my fingers and then staring at my weapon in horror.

I know what you mean about getting the base plates off, but the more you do it, the easier it gets.

...reduced power striker spring.

Don't use the reduced striker springs.

And why not exactly? Reduced power spring with stock striker works 100% reliably with federal primers. There are plenty of revolver trigger jobs that will only work reliably with federal primers, nobody tells those shooters to go back to stock. And with a lightened steel striker Winchester primers work fine too. So what exactly is the problem with reduced power striker springs?

...reduced power striker spring.

Don't use the reduced striker springs.

And why not exactly? Reduced power spring with stock striker works 100% reliably with federal primers.

Slav,

You're correct --- right up until you start having ignition problems......

I've been playing with the Glock in competition since 2000, I've changed my mind on the value of the reduced power striker spring after getting failures to fire in multiple blasters, using ammo reloaded on a 1050. (Primers definitely well seated) Problems went away after a spring swap --- probably would have gone away after a swap of reduced power striker springs as well, but it's one more thing to keep track of/that can potentially go wrong....

And why not exactly? Reduced power spring with stock striker works 100% reliably with federal primers.

They also work 100% reliably with Win primers also - when they are new. However, they wear down much faster than the stock springs. They have a life of about a year. And you never know when they will go. I've had one go during a match. I've seen others go during a match as well. And yes, some of those people were using Federal primers. If you choose to use them, I would change them every year and I would definitely put in new ones for a major match. I figured that was one more thing I had to worry about, so I just use stock springs now.

They also work 100% reliably with Win primers also - when they are new. However, they wear down much faster than the stock springs. They have a life of about a year. And you never know when they will go. I've had one go during a match. I've seen others go during a match as well. And yes, some of those people were using Federal primers. If you choose to use them, I would change them every year and I would definitely put in new ones for a major match. I figured that was one more thing I had to worry about, so I just use stock springs now.

+1 Just easy, cheap piece of mind to change them out like smoke detector batteries once a year. They do not cost that much.

T