Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WST not good for 9mm and Lite .40

Darrell

I had been reading on the forum for a couple of days about some people using WST to load 9mm. I didn't find it good years ago so I decided to give it a try again. What a waste of time and bullets. WST works great in my .45, I use 4.2 gr with a 200 gr H&G 68 for superb accuracy, but never again in 9mm or .40. I used Montana Gold 124 jhp starting with 3.6 gr working up to 4.4 gr. ES and SD was terrible, and not one group shot under 3 inches at 25 yds. I used my EAA limited 9, and .40, and my M&P 9pro all that usually shoot less than 1.5" at 25yd. My normal load for my EAA shoots .79" and my M&P 1.1" with Power Pistol powder. Even my .40 EAA didn't shoot well with this powder and Berry 135's. I'll measure the groups tomorrow and post chrono and accuracy results. I'll stick with 231, T.G., and P.P for 9mm, and T.G, and VV320 for .40.

I use it to make .40 major. Accurate and soft shooting. You need to bump it up a .10 or two over max in the newer books, but with older versions, its still considered fine and within limits. No signs of over-pressurization.

I had been reading on the forum for a couple of days about some people using WST to load 9mm. I didn't find it good years ago so I decided to give it a try again. What a waste of time and bullets. WST works great in my .45, I use 4.2 gr with a 200 gr H&G 68 for superb accuracy, but never again in 9mm or .40. I used Montana Gold 124 jhp starting with 3.6 gr working up to 4.4 gr. ES and SD was terrible, and not one group shot under 3 inches at 25 yds. I used my EAA limited 9, and .40, and my M&P 9pro all that usually shoot less than 1.5" at 25yd. My normal load for my EAA shoots .79" and my M&P 1.1" with Power Pistol powder. Even my .40 EAA didn't shoot well with this powder and Berry 135's. I'll measure the groups tomorrow and post chrono and accuracy results. I'll stick with 231, T.G., and P.P for 9mm, and T.G, and VV320 for .40.

Interesting... I have a Tanfo Stock and was told WST was a good choice....

I have been using a 124 FMJ with 4.0gr. Ramshot Comp for some time and like it a lot. However, Ramshot is not available in my new location so I am looking for a new powder. Can't find N320 either. Thinking about switching to Clays. Does Clays work well with a poly coated [black bullet type] bullet?

I have been using a 124 FMJ with 4.0gr. Ramshot Comp for some time and like it a lot. However, Ramshot is not available in my new location so I am looking for a new powder. Can't find N320 either. Thinking about switching to Clays. Does Clays work well with a poly coated [black bullet type] bullet?

Smoke, too much,

go to black bullets international or precisions web site and check their list of suggested powdes.

I was working up some loads for my new CZ, Shadow SP-01. I looked around my old stock to see what I needed to get rid of and came up with some Delta Precision 115 gr jrn. I used 5.1 of WSF and it was extremely tight on the chrno. It was a smooth feeling 131 and change PF.

Try some of that. Seems like I was loading around 4.5 for a 124 Precision (Black) bullet years ago.

Hope this helps. :cheers:

Edited by BlackSabbath

I'll be sticking with T.G, and 231 for my 9mm production load and 124 gr M.Gs. My accuracy load is still 5.6 of Power Pistol with the same bullet. My best accuracy was with 147 Zero JHP and 3.6 of T.G. out my EAA Limited, it shot the best group ever from my Auto's.

I'll be sticking with T.G, and 231 for my 9mm production load and 124 gr M.Gs. My accuracy load is still 5.6 of Power Pistol with the same bullet. My best accuracy was with 147 Zero JHP and 3.6 of T.G. out my EAA Limited, it shot the best group ever from my Auto's.

What charge are you throwing with 231 for your 9mm with 124's?

I've been using 4.7 gr of WST in my 9x23 with a 115 gr bullet for Action Pistol for the past 5 years. Accuracy is an inch or better at 50 yards with standard deviations in the single digits. My record in Action Pistol proves it's accurate. Used to use 231 but it was not consistant lot to lot.

Kevin

I use 4.2 gr of 231 with 124 gr M.G. at 1.100, and 3.6 of T.G. with Zero 147 JHP at 1.150. My best group was .59 inches at 15 yds 8 shots. I'm working up a new load tomorrow starting at 3.6 of T.G. with 124 M. G. for my M&P pro.