Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

HEAVY BUFFER

Sudden Death

I ran across some heavy buffers for AR-15 they are made out of stainless steel and tungsten and they claim that they weigh 6.5oz.And they also claim that felt recoil is less and faster follow up shots. Just wondering if anyone has used one of these in your rifle. :unsure:

I am sure in a few min. we will see the mathematical formulas proving it does/does not start appearing... :devil:

It may boil down to personal preference just like the diff in that some shooters prefer the heavy bullet push recoil vs the snappy & quick.

I know there are a lot of people selling the lightened bolt carriers and lighter buffers. I can really feel a distinct difference (for the better) with the lighter setup vs stock weight...

I am not too caught up in 'conventional wisdom', as a result I try a lot of different stuff. Sometimes it doesn't work at all, sometimes it works OK, and sometimes it is completely kick ass. Regardless of the outcome I become less ignorant for trying it and worst case my wallet is a little lighter, but that is OK by me. Knowledge usually comes at a cost.

A heavy reciprocating assembly slows the cycle time.

Given the same energy input..a greater mass will take more time to accelerate.

Playing with Light or heavy buffers and carriers along with adjusting gas systems :mellow:

It can keep you up at night <_<

Jim

Playing with Light or heavy buffers and carriers along with adjusting gas systems :mellow:

Jim

and as some who has played a bunch with yourself heavy and light carriers and setups...what is the optimum - very bestest system...? B)

Jim

and as some who has played a bunch with yourself heavy and light carriers and setups...what is the optimum - very bestest system...? B)

Bestest is whatever feels mostes good.---------------Larry

I think the answer to that question is tied to many factors. The load, bullet weight etc will have an effect. The individual shooter will react to the impulse differently. What feels good to one person won't to another.

On the heavy carriers, highpower shooters have been adding carrier weights when shooting heavy bullets to keep the bolt locked a bit longer, and get a bit more velocity.