Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is with all the 25s?

steel1212

Airedale shoots one, JT shoots one, Hopalong shoots one, Carmoney has one in his avatar so I'm Guessing he shoots one. Is it because it has a 6.5" barrel or what? I did shoot Dave's and JT's today and they are pretty sweet.

Actually, the gun in my avatar is my 6.5" 27-7 8-shot, which is my primary Limited ICORE gun. It's actually sort of a rare bird, only 100 were manufactured and sold through Bangers USA. But mine had already been shot when I acquired it, so I didn't hesitate to put it into competition service.

As for 25-2s, I bought my first 6.5" 25-2 in 1987 shortly after I started shooting competitively. My son still shoots that gun in USPSA Revolver Division, and has done very well with it. I usually shoot 5" 625s for USPSA, but this year I acquired a really nice 25-2 that was retrofitted with a Ti cylinder, and I might just switch to it next season. (I'm in my off-season now, and have been shooting Production the past couple months, and will switch to Single Stack in the spring to get ready for the Single Stack Classic). I'm still not sold on the concept of the Ti cylinder, but figured it might improve accuracy (25-2s are well known for having oversized throats that are not real conducive to accuracy, particularly at longer range). We'll see.

This 25-5 weighs just about the same as my 4" 625 V-comp and has a lot less muzzle flip. Accuracy is not much different between them but the sight radius on the 8" gun is great. The Ti cyl has the birdsong coating and I don't get any sticking problems.

DSCN0166-1.jpg

I experimented with an 8-3/8" barrel on a 25-2 for awhile. I found it to be OK for bowling pin shooting, and too long for anything else. It was not ideal for draws, transitions, or going in/out of ports and doors......for me, anyway. Those long-barreled N-frames sure look cool, though!

This 25-5 weighs just about the same as my 4" 625 V-comp and has a lot less muzzle flip. Accuracy is not much different between them but the sight radius on the 8" gun is great. The Ti cyl has the birdsong coating and I don't get any sticking problems.

DSCN0166-1.jpg

Who's grips are on your blaster? Did Ti cylinder improve your 25's accuracy?

I experimented with an 8-3/8" barrel on a 25-2 for awhile. I found it to be OK for bowling pin shooting, and too long for anything else. It was not ideal for draws, transitions, or going in/out of ports and doors......for me, anyway. Those long-barreled N-frames sure look cool, though!

I agree with you on the speed thing - I can go faster with the 4" gun. I think 6" is the best compromise. The 3" gun you fixed up for me is the most fun to shoot though.

mwx40x40, the grips are Nill grips that I have cut down some. They will eventually be open backed instead of closed. I bought the gun new in the box - it started out as a 45 Colt. I put a box of those thru it off hand before sending it off and it was not very accurate at all. After having it changed to ACP, adding a Ti cylinder in it and having the barrel Taylor Throated the accuracy is great. I can't say what part Taylor Throating the barrel or adding the Ti cylinder played alone but the sum of the work turned out great.

Is it because it has a 6.5" barrel or what? I did shoot Dave's and JT's today and they are pretty sweet.

Maybe it shows that S&W missed the boat with their current (peculiar) 5 1/4" 625, instead of offering a 6 1/2" std. 625 with a Ti cylinder.

Is it because it has a 6.5" barrel or what? I did shoot Dave's and JT's today and they are pretty sweet.

Maybe it shows that S&W missed the boat with their current (peculiar) 5 1/4" 625, instead of offering a 6 1/2" std. 625 with a Ti cylinder.

Yeah, I have to admit, that would be way cool! I'd probably stop stocking up on ARs long enough to buy at least one of those! ;)