Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Series 80 (Caspian XR Frame) to Series 70 build questions.

sasquatch981

So I have done the search, and see that it is easy to convert a series 80 frame to series 70 gun. Buy the adapter plate insert and go about your business. However, my question goes more like this.

I am thinking of building one of Caspian XR's. I have never seen or handled a series 80 pistol, only series 70's. For those of you who have done it, are there any visible signs from the outside of the pistol that this work has been done? When the plate is installed from all appearances it looks like the plate is held in place by the sear and hammer pins. Meaning that when a detail strip is performed the plate will come out. Is this correct. Is there a reason why this adapter plate can not be soldered in place to keep it coming out?

Are there any other reasons not to build a series 80 frame into a 70?

A little dab of grease will keep it in place when assembling the gun. I don't see why you could not do something more permanent but I have never seen a need to. You can't see the plate unless you take the slide off and look where the upper arm should be. But, for example, if the gun was checked by a match official to see if the factory safeties still worked, all they would have to do is cock the gun and push on the firing pin without pressing the trigger. Series 80 would not allow the firing pin through the bolt face.

Later,

Chuck

It falls out when hammer and sear pin are removed, But it is 8,000,026 times (I did the calculations) easier to put in than the two itty bitty linkage doodads it replaces. Put the plate in install the hammer pin. then install the sear, disconnect and sear pin, remove the hammer pin and install the hammer and reinstall the hammer pin.