Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tube optic? Which one?

want2race

I have been using a CompC 7moa for a few years now, and like it alot. I have been leaning towards a C-More for a long time but can't break myself away from the Aimpoint. The sight is tough, the dot is extra clear and very bright. Problem is there aren't a big variety of mounts out there, I have been using a CPMi mount for the last 4 years or so. Besides this many feel the Aimpoint with a mount is too heavy, but I think it's just whatever you are used to. I like it. I am sure you could find an old XD somewhere if you are just experimenting.

I've been scouring the net for a used 7moa Aimpoint. EGW has a carbon fiber mount! I love CF!

I haven't been able to find one used. I don't even know if the places that list the CompC SM "actually" have them or just haven't removed them from their websites.

I prefer the older XDs. They are just as bulletproof, are about a 1/2 inch shorter out front, and come in 10 MOA dots. They have a shorter battery life but it is not an issue if you turn it off between stages. I have gotten most of mine for about $150.00 from forum members here. The only other difference is that the XD switches have the brightest setting right next in line to the off position. Aimpoint will repair these for a flat fee of $35.00 last time I looked. I have used both the Weigand double sided mount and the CPMI single. Both are good solid mounts. Beven Gramms makes a mount as well but I have never tried it. Last time I got onto their web the Weigand mount was still available for $19.95 as a closeout. I see the weight difference between the Cmore and the Aimpoint as insignificant. Stick with what works for you.

I've been very happy with my C-More, but

have never tried anything else - the C-More

does tend to wander and needs to be re-

centered once in a while -

I'm thinking of getting a Barry Mount, you

can see a discussion about it on this forum -

advantage is the sight picture is lower to the

bore - trying to figure out all the disadvantages.

Jack

Oddly enough, the best tube dot for my CZ major 9 was and is a Barska 30mm tube dot I bought for $23 from Whittaker Guns in Owensboro. My gun has a particularly short barrel and only vertical comp ports. It has destroyed an Aimpoint comp C, a Millet 30mm tube dot, an Aimpoint clone that had worked on a full auto m16, and a JP. I have had 2 Barska and 2 Millets. First Millet died after 1 mag and the second(they warrantied the first) is still working. Both Barska are working. After a year with the first I put it on a 22 rifle. I am currently trying out a Burris Fastfire, but have not had it to the range. Barska will be a cheap way to find out if a tube is for you.

Hope this helps.

Pic is with the Barska.

post-11138-1227899607_thumb.jpg

I like my CMORE; but, if I were building a new Open gun I'd like to try a tube again; especially if I could get an Aimpoint with a 10" dot.

I am tired of having to rezero constantly.

And dealing with the dot to bore relationship.

I never had to constantly rezero a Tasco PDP-3, but when I did use them I had to replace them about once every 2 years.

An Aimpoint would improve my confidence too.

FM

Oddly enough, the best tube dot for my CZ major 9 was and is a Barska 30mm tube dot I bought for $23 from Whittaker Guns in Owensboro. My gun has a particularly short barrel and only vertical comp ports. It has destroyed an Aimpoint comp C, a Millet 30mm tube dot, an Aimpoint clone that had worked on a full auto m16, and a JP. I have had 2 Barska and 2 Millets. First Millet died after 1 mag and the second(they warrantied the first) is still working. Both Barska are working. After a year with the first I put it on a 22 rifle. I am currently trying out a Burris Fastfire, but have not had it to the range. Barska will be a cheap way to find out if a tube is for you.

Hope this helps.

Pic is with the Barska.

I am surprised you broke the CompC, mine has seen quite a few thou. rounds, even putting up with the five ports in my barrell. Did you consider sending it to Aimpoint for repair? I sent an XD to them once, they were very helpful.

Want2race: maybe flip an email to Aimpoint, you might be able to buy a re-furbished one from them, might be worth a try.

Edited by Jody Waring

Hope this helps.

Pic is with the Barska.

I am surprised you broke the CompC, mine has seen quite a few thou. rounds, even putting up with the five ports in my barrell. Did you consider sending it to Aimpoint for repair? I sent an XD to them once, they were very helpful.

Want2race: maybe flip an email to Aimpoint, you might be able to buy a re-furbished one from them, might be worth a try.

Not as surprised as I was!!!! Weird thing is...if the dot lasts past the first magazine it is usually fine. The Aimpoint, the clone, and the JP did not last past initial sight ins first mag. The first Millet did ok until the shock of the gun actually unscrewed the front tube and then the dot quit.

That gun must be pretty vicious, if the Aimpoint died that quickly. I have had mine (CompC) pretty much since it came out, taking over from the XD, and I can't even think how many rounds I have put thru the gun since then. At least you have found a good replacement, too bad a Barska had to be stronger :wacko: I can't say much about them either, I use a Barska on my bench .22 rifle and the quality is excellent considering the price.

I think your best option is to call CPMi and ask for Shirley Hamilton, thats what I did a few years back, I don't think you'll have any trouble getting one. Which mount does EGW have? George picked up some stuff years ago where WCPI left off, and I thought they had a really cool carbon fiber Aimpoint mount. Maybe he has those?

Thanks. I'll give Shirley a call today.

EGW has a nice looking CF mount but I need to see it on a pistol before hitting the go button on $125. It uses two thin rings instead of one large one. That is the one thing I don't like about it. That's 8 steel screws instead of 4 for the aluminum rings.