Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XD/m .40 opinions

shutr

shutr> I have an XDm-40 and an EAA Witness Limited. My EAA isn't an STI, but its not too far from it on a performance level. Simply put, you get what you pay for. Can you compete with the XDm-40 in Limited class? Sure. Will a double stack style 2011 or EAA pistol shoot more accurately and easier than an XDm-40? Yes.

There are fundamental limitations to the XDm-40 design that you will never be able to overcome to get it up to the same performance level of the STI, SVI, or similar pistols. For example, the trigger. You will never get an XDm-40 trigger as light, short travel, solid engagement or crisp as the others. Then you have weight balance disadvantage of the polymer frame. A light polymer frame with a heavy slide is a lot harder to control when shooting fast. Lastly there is the inherent accuracy difference. I can shoot my XDm-40 back to back against my EAA at 15 yards and consistently shoot groups half the size with my EAA.

Can you dump a ton of money into the XDm-40 and get it close to the performance of a base STI? Sure. But the time and money spent getting it there will be about as much as just getting a standard STI, SVI or EAA off the shelf. Keep in mind that you can take a standard STI, SVI or EAA and get some work done on it to make it outstanding. Performance like this will never be achieved with the XDm-40.

It all comes down to your budget really. If you can't afford an STI, SVI or EAA then shoot your XDm-40 in Limited. It will still go bang when you pull the trigger and put holes in the targets like all the other guns. If you are having fun with it, does it really matter if you have the latest and greatest wiz bang uber gun?

The XDm is a viable platform for Limited, L-10, Production,and steel/Pro Am, built by the right person will perform with the best of any other platform. The trigger on the XDm can be done to be a short travel and a pull weight ranging down to 1.5#. With a stainless magwell their isn't a balance issue and the slide can be lightened. There is also tungsten guide rods available in a couple of different weights and spring configurations. Bo-mar style sights can easily be low mounted into the slide and there are some good fixed sight options out there like Scott Warrens rear sight.

Rich

drift: Right now there are more choices then there ever has been, you don't have to be just another follower. There just seems to be enough Indians shooting so called inferior arrows winning to not ignore them.

You have to find what fits you! I have an EXCELLENT XD with a trigger that Rich did. When I hold that gun it feels perfect. The problem is, I can't shoot it worth a crap. I love it and won't sell it, I just cannot seem to drive it. I don't like the way my STI feels in my hand, but I run it much better. I think the XD is a viable choice and with a little tuning it can be outstanding in the right hand. I just wish it could be my hand.

just my .02

Bill