Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any big events in Houston, TX area for Spring/Summer 2009?

Aristotle

My wife would like to visit her sister in Houston, TX this summer, and I want to shoot a big event. I'm not privy to this sections events, so I'm just throwing a hook out here to see if I can get any tips.

My plans were to fly down to Houston, kiss the wife and kid and leave them with her sister, and drive 6 hours to Wichita Falls, TX to shoot Double Tap for the weekend, and drive back down and stay with her family for a few days and fly back to sunny Seattle.

My concerns were flying with my guns, and of course driving 6 hours in a state I know little about.

Thoughts, suggestions, concerns, tips? I just wanted to see what my other options were, I can hear my wife excitedly on the phone with her sister already.

Thanks! :cheers:

Edited by Aristotle

That would be even better, I tried to do a search and came up blank. Is there an official match site yet?

I may be planning on going to this one too. ;) Here is a link to their site about the match...

http://www.texassouthsection.com/SCC/SCC_2008/ssc_2008.htm

and here

http://www.texassouthsection.com/

It will be April 10-12th in 2009...

Edited by Rocket35

That would be even better, I tried to do a search and came up blank. Is there an official match site yet?

I may be planning on going to this one too. ;) Here is a link to their site about the match...

http://www.texassouthsection.com/SCC/SCC_2008/ssc_2008.htm

and here

http://www.texassouthsection.com/

It will be April 10-12th in 2009...

Heck yeah, Do it Jay! We can squad up and you know I'll run the camera for you! :cheers:

I'm thinking that this may be a better option for me, and less hassle of having to travel an additional 6 hours in another state.

My concerns were flying with my guns...

Flying with a gun is no big deal.

mattk

How about ammo? I'm thinking my best option may be to just mail it to my Sisters house in Houston, but I'm afraid if it somehow doesn't make it down there, I'm royally screwed.

Edited by Aristotle

How about ammo? I'm thinking my best option may be to just mail it to my Sisters house in Houston, but I'm afraid if it somehow doesn't make it down there, I'm royally screwed.

You can mail ammo to your family in Houston.

You can fly with ammo pretty easily too. It just needs to be in boxes that were designed for transporting ammo. So what I do is save up factory boxes (CCI Blazer, Federal America Eagle) and load them up with my reloads. Then when I empty them at the match I just toss the box and don't have to worry about bring them home. You can also use those plastic boxes that you put your reloads into, but then you have to bring them back home.

It's my understanding that different airlines have different policies when it comes to how much ammo you can travel with. Look into what the policy for the airline you are traveling on.

My concerns were flying with my guns...

Flying with a gun is no big deal.

mattk

you may talk with our Section Coordinator, Landis Newbanks(Sidnal on this site). They may have a place that you can ship your ammo to. I believe you could ship it to the match, at least they did last year

You can mail ammo to your family in Houston.

You can fly with ammo pretty easily too. It just needs to be in boxes that were designed for transporting ammo. So what I do is save up factory boxes (CCI Blazer, Federal America Eagle) and load them up with my reloads. Then when I empty them at the match I just toss the box and don't have to worry about bring them home. You can also use those plastic boxes that you put your reloads into, but then you have to bring them back home.

It's my understanding that different airlines have different policies when it comes to how much ammo you can travel with. Look into what the policy for the airline you are traveling on.

There is usually a weight restriction in the ammo also.

Southeast Texas Practical Shooters. USPSA at the Orange Gun Club on the first Saturday of the month, USPSA at the Golden Triangle Gun Club on the second Saturday of the month, and Steel Challenge back at the Orange Gun Club on the third Sunday of the month. All start at 9am. This is the Beaumont/Port Atrhur/Orange area of TX, about 75 min from Houston.

Oh yeah, throw in a 3-gun match every once in a while...

For more complete info of all matches in this section, check out www.texassouthsection.com

Edited by ken hebert