Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Model 627 Pro Series

41mag

Was looking at the four inch Pro 8 shot and thought I might like to get one to shoot production at my local matches. The S&W web site doesn't mention moonclips under the technical info for that model (178014). Do all the 8 shot moonclipped revos use the same clip? How thick are the clips and how much do they cost? Who sells them?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

41mag

Pat, the Pro Series 627 does use moonclips. The clips are the same as any other 8-shot .38/.357 moons available anywhere (but I would strongly recommend the Hearthcos for any 8-shot revo). There is another "regular" 8-shot 627 with a plain 4" barrel available now that does not use moons--it would need to have the cylinder cut for moonclips.

I thought there was some USPSA rule about only shooting 6 rounds from a revolver, unless that has recently changed. If you want to shoot all 8 rounds, you might have to shoot in L10 or limited or open. I recall a story from friend that got pushed into open class for shooting a 7th round out of his revolver.

Too many different games with too many rules.

Other than that, hurry up and get that revolver! I started shooting ICORE this year with a 627 and I love it.

Good luck,

Seiichi

I thought there was some USPSA rule about only shooting 6 rounds from a revolver, unless that has recently changed. If you want to shoot all 8 rounds, you might have to shoot in L10 or limited or open. I recall a story from friend that got pushed into open class for shooting a 7th round out of his revolver.

itchy,

Pat's talking about shooting a 627 in Production class where the round limit is 10 and all ammo is scored minor(unless it's sub-minor :surprise: ). You can also shoot a revolver in open , limited or L10. The round count of 6 applies only to revo class.

Bob.

A16841

itchy,

Pat's talking about shooting a 627 in Production class where the round limit is 10 and all ammo is scored minor(unless it's sub-minor :surprise: ). You can also shoot a revolver in open , limited or L10. The round count of 6 applies only to revo class.

Bob.

A16841

Oh. It's all much clearer to me now. Thanks!

Seiichi

Pat, the Pro Series 627 does use moonclips. The clips are the same as any other 8-shot .38/.357 moons available anywhere (but I would strongly recommend the Hearthcos for any 8-shot revo). There is another "regular" 8-shot 627 with a plain 4" barrel available now that does not use moons--it would need to have the cylinder cut for moonclips.

Thanks for the info....I was kinda thinking it did or should but didn't want to order one and get a big surprise.

Since you are recommending Hearthco clips Mike I am sure that's what you use, do you know how thick they are? Or asked a different way do they bend easily and often? I bought a first run 610 (hammer nose no dash) and the moons are thin and bend REAL easy. I am now led to believe the new 610's use a thicker clip.

quote, itchy (Too many different games with too many rules.)

Its not to bad itchy, the rule book is only about a quarter inch thick :rolleyes: Speaking of rules...I'm sure some people will give me grief when I show up to shoot production with the revo and they see me carrying ammo in front of my hip bone :ph34r:

I have shot one steel match this year and plan to shoot some more but ICORE isn't available around here.

thanks,

41mag

41mag ,627 moonclips are .022 for the regular S&W ,or .025 for the Hearthco ones. Remington brass seems to fit the .022 thick moons the best . Kinda loose but not too bad. I believe you can shoot any of the 627's without moonclips.

Just my .02

Scott

Thanks for the info....I was kinda thinking it did or should but didn't want to order one and get a big surprise.

Since you are recommending Hearthco clips Mike I am sure that's what you use, do you know how thick they are? Or asked a different way do they bend easily and often? I bought a first run 610 (hammer nose no dash) and the moons are thin and bend REAL easy. I am now led to believe the new 610's use a thicker clip.

quote, itchy (Too many different games with too many rules.)

Its not to bad itchy, the rule book is only about a quarter inch thick :rolleyes: Speaking of rules...I'm sure some people will give me grief when I show up to shoot production with the revo and they see me carrying ammo in front of my hip bone :ph34r:

I have shot one steel match this year and plan to shoot some more but ICORE isn't available around here.

thanks,

41mag

Pat,

I've got the new 610, the moonclips are 0.035" thick whether S&W or Hearthco. The S&W clips do bend VERY easily but the Hearthco have a wider "web" of metal on the arms that hold the cases and on the center ring making it much sturdier.

Edited by Dogged

The Hearthco moons do not bend easily at all....I think they might be made out of spring steel, not 100% sure. In my experience, the best of all possible set-ups for 8-shot is Hearthco moonclips made for Starline brass, and minor loads in .38 Short Colt (Starline) brass. Those cartridges fit nice and tight in the moonclips (in fact, you really need to use a remooning tool), and with a little chamfer done to the chamber mouths, they drop right in really well. Reloads with that combination are nearly as fast as you can get with a 625.

• 3 weeks later...
Is the 327PD (Ti cylinder) cut for full moons?

The only 8-shot cylinders cut for Full Moonclips from the factory are Performance Center Models & 627 4" Pro Series (178014).

The 627 4" "plain barrel" (163357) is not cut for moons.

Edited by Tom Revo