Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springfield HiCap

JeffCSR

I bought a G.I. model in '05, and have been slowly customizing it as I can. It is not the same as a Para frame. The grips don't interchange, and neither does the trigger. The S&A mainspring housing/magwell does fit (was tipped to that by the pics on Robbie's website). I have Para mags with Grams pads and followers, and they're reloadable 18-rounders. My gun also has a Wilson beavertail, and the slide is being fitted with Heinie rear sight, Dawson front, and the ejection port is being lowered. I have only a couple of hundred rounds through it, as it's passed through my hands going to and from a couple of gunsmiths. I'm not really happy with the accuracy, 3+" at 25 yards from the bench, even with a bushing change, so a barrel may be in the works, too.

I have a SA GI Hi-Cap as well. I have dreams about building into a nice USPSA Limited gun, so this thread is interesting!

I'm new to USPSA, and plan on shooting my CZ97B in Limited 10 next year.

What's a general ball park figure if I were to have the gun worked over? Say adding sights, beaver tail, new hammer, trigger job, and other stuff like that? Can I just order a new slide from SA or someplace?

(Oh, I found the Custom price list on Springfield's site....that gives me a bit better of an idea on upgrade costs...)

Edited by kamicosmos

I bought a G.I. model in '05, and have been slowly customizing it as I can. It is not the same as a Para frame. The grips don't interchange, and neither does the trigger. The S&A mainspring housing/magwell does fit (was tipped to that by the pics on Robbie's website). I have Para mags with Grams pads and followers, and they're reloadable 18-rounders. My gun also has a Wilson beavertail, and the slide is being fitted with Heinie rear sight, Dawson front, and the ejection port is being lowered. I have only a couple of hundred rounds through it, as it's passed through my hands going to and from a couple of gunsmiths. I'm not really happy with the accuracy, 3+" at 25 yards from the bench, even with a bushing change, so a barrel may be in the works, too.

I had a rough beginning with mine. It had a stripped grip screw, the slide cycled roughly, the grip safety shook like a cow bell, the 2 piece barrel upper lugs looked like a beaver gnawed them into shape, the barrel fit was very poor, the trigger pull was at least 6#s and the hammer was a leaner, and the front strap looked like the machinist fell asleep when he got to the bottom of the frame. I cleaned it up, and oil lapped the slide/frame to knock off the rough parkerizing, then shot it quite a bit. The slide stop wouldn't touch so I had to replace it (I wanted it to lock open when dry) Then the plunger tube came loose so I peened it down temporarily while I continued to shoot it more and more. Then the trigger broke where the "divit" is tack welded to limit the take up on the trigger. Springfield wouldn't send me a replacement trigger and no one made a replacement for this pistol so I was forced to send it back. So I made my patented grocery list and mailed it back to Springfield. They tightened the slide to frame fit, fit a 'match' barrel, rewelded the grip safety tang, fit a new grip safety, replaced the trigger, replaced the front sight, rerivited or set screwed the plunger tube(can't tell) and welded(soldered) the plunger in place, blended the whole backside of the slide/frame/grip safety, and refinished the gun in Armory Kote. When it came back it looked like a CustomShop Queen :devil: So for 2 years it sat in the safe. Now, it's time to get active again!

P.S. I gotta get some of those 18rd mag conversions!

Sounds like a happy ending, or a new begining, anyway. I call mine the Prize Table Gun. I got it originally for half price, as a prize at the '05 WA state IDPA championship, and didn't really know what to do with it. I then grabbed a bunch of SVI parts off the prize table at the '06 Multi-Gun Nats. Later, I took a certificate for gunsmithing off the table at the '06 WA IDPA match. The original deal was for a "trigger job", using the SVI parts, but the longer the 'smith kept it, the more he was willing to do. The gun came back, a year and a half later, with a beavertail, ambi, sweet trigger, and the Para magwell. In the meantime, I'd snagged another gunsmithing cert off the table at '07 Area 1, and now the gun is having the slide worked on. Prize drawing for match staff at the '08 WA IDPA netted a Schuemann barrel. I suppose I should at least thank the sponsors: Bruce Gray of Grayguns did the frame work, John Larson of JPL Precision is working on it now, and Mike at Schuemann donated the barrel.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, It's Official.... Today Springfield called me and confirmed my frame is cracked. They are not replacing the frame, they are not repairing the frame either, They have given me my choice of any of their Loaded Models as an even exchange.

Just wanted to pass that on, Hate killing my own thread but good luck with yours guys.

Well, It's Official.... Today Springfield called me and confirmed my frame is cracked. They are not replacing the frame, they are not repairing the frame either, They have given me my choice of any of their Loaded Models as an even exchange.

Just wanted to pass that on, Hate killing my own thread but good luck with yours guys.

Jeff... that is terrible news! I'm astounded. Within the last couple of months Dave Williams wrote to tell me that they are not having problems with the hi-cap frames, but that they do have replacement frames, if needed. WTF??? As I write this, I'm having some cool custom work done on mine by John Harrison... now I'm wondering if that (investing custom 1911 money in this gun) might be a big mistake. DANG!

Edited by DHart

Aren't the Springfield frames made by Imbel in Brazil?

Dhart, got your message and replied...

Yes they are made by Imbel.

I spotted my crack and being the worrying type I called SPringfield, got an RMA and they checked and confirmed mine is cracked. It 's a hairline crack that hasn't travelled all the way and seperated the frame but I wanted to be sure before I shot it anymore. They confirmed it's a crack and they choose to replace it, I'm good wit htat all things considered.

I should clarify that Dave said GI hi-cap frames are available.

Perhaps they aren't able/don't want to replace "Loaded" hi-cap

frames, however. In an event, sounds like they're taking very

good care of you by replacing the entire gun with something

else of your choosing. Always heard that SA service was very

good and I'm glad you're pleased with the resolution.

Edited by DHart

Where exactly was the stress crack?

I have a SA high-cap Compact.

Directly in front of the thumb safety, from the plunger tube to the sear pin.

Edited to add pic.

cracked.jpg

Edited by JeffCSR

That's scary. There's a thread going somewhere . . . might be here, that Springfield changed from a forged to a cast hi-cap frame, and that the way to tell, is if the plunger tube is separate, it's a forged frame, and if the plunger tube is integral, it's cast. I can't even find a picture of a frame with an integral plunger tube, but I'd be interested to know if the cracked frame reported here has the separate tube? I still find it strange that Springfield would sell that one cast-frame gun, or that Imbel would redesign that one frame for casting, but I don't even have my gun handy to look for any tell-tale signs of the manufacturing process. I really wouldn't consider a single-stack anything as an appropriate replacement for a hi-cap, but at least Springfield is trying to hold to some sort of dollar value equivalency.

That's scary. There's a thread going somewhere . . . might be here, that Springfield changed from a forged to a cast hi-cap frame, and that the way to tell, is if the plunger tube is separate, it's a forged frame, and if the plunger tube is integral, it's cast. I can't even find a picture of a frame with an integral plunger tube, but I'd be interested to know if the cracked frame reported here has the separate tube? I still find it strange that Springfield would sell that one cast-frame gun, or that Imbel would redesign that one frame for casting, but I don't even have my gun handy to look for any tell-tale signs of the manufacturing process. I really wouldn't consider a single-stack anything as an appropriate replacement for a hi-cap, but at least Springfield is trying to hold to some sort of dollar value equivalency.

Hey Rick, mine had the seperate plunger tube.

This whole incident makes me think about Browning and their .40 HiPower, they went with a Cast frame on purpose because cast was actually better... If I remember right.

I think mine was coaxed into cracking because the frame rails were peened and there was welding in that area as well.

When I sent it back to the factory for the original repair the slide was goose loose and when it came back it was tight as a vault

Rick, I used a STI trigger for a para (from Dawson). Worked just fine for my loaded model High cap. I emailed SA and asked first. I was told it would work.

I checked my left over parts , trigger must be out in one of the other parts boxes.