Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cowboys On The Range

ErikW

I went out to the range to practice this morning and it was taken over by cowboy shooters setting up for a four-day event. Nothing in the club's schedule about the range being unavailable for practice. Just a 50 mile round trip in bay area traffic for nothing. :angry:

And if my slide with new sight comes this week I won't be able to sight it in. :(

erik,

we have them at our range too. heaven forbid you shoot one of there props. man talk about hissy fits.

in there terms, they were squatting on our territory, this is the IPSC range. what'd expect, our bullets actually go through stuff. the loads they use barely make it to the steel. i think they reload the same lead bullets. :D

anyway they moved all there stuff to the back side of our berms, so no more trouble from those guys.

lynn

Sorry to hear that Erik,

You know this is kind of the way I got started in USPSA though. I went to my local range (20 min drive) on a Saturday morning a little more than 2 years ago to site in my 30-06 hunting rifle. I like to get there about 30 minutes before you can start shooting so I can get set up. Low and behold the place was packed with a bunch of crazy gun nuts all decked out looking like they were going to war. :( I asked my friend the takes care of the range what the heck was going on with all these loco's on "my" rifle range. :angry: He laughed and said go down and watch you might like it. I no sooner got down there when someone, I did not know, offered me a gun and some ammo and tried to talk me into trying it out. :unsure: Being a shy guy and not feeling comfortable with using a "strangers" gun I just watched. Since then I have been hooked.

I guess what I am saying is maybe you should put on your cowboy boots and hat and pop some caps with the good old boys. :D Who knows maybe you will get hooked just like me. B)

Jim

The cowboys have taken majority control of our range also. I don't blame them, they're just doing what they are allowed to do. The BOD gives them permission to hold 3-4 day matches whenever they want. They called one of their matches the "Police Olympics". Go figure. The real Police Olympics was held the same weekend about 60 miles away.

If our IPSC club askes to host a two day match we are summarily dismissed as not being family oriented enough for the club.

I guess if you get all dolled up and refer to yourself by a fantasy alias it's PC to shoot humanoid targets. I think the board also likes the fact that the cowboys aren't as "fiercely competative" as those IPSC shooter.

The cowboys are good guys, of course. I'm just jealous of their access to the BOD's ear.

Later

Dave

Cowboy Shooters at our range lasted about 3 months before we told them to go somewhere else. Reason being, they refused to pay the club a portion of the match fees, they kept it all to themselves. Last I heard they hadn't found another place to shoot, so they called it quits. Nice guys though.

About half of the folks showing up at our local IDPA matches are cowboys. And I don't mean the dress-up kind. They mostly favor revolvers. They do pretty good at IDPA too. But after the stages are torn down we go back to the trucks and get our other stuff. Everything from FN-FALs to 1895 Marlins and we have a social hour. Cowboys, cops, doctors, oil field trash, coal miners and railroaders just having fun.

A week from Sunday we're planning a "hillbilly picnic" at the range. Somewhere between all the eating and shooting we're going to conduct our monthly club business meeting. (I try to stay away from the fried chicken though, Pro-grip it ain't.)

Our club is black powder cartridge silouette, benchresters, and the maniacs like us that run with loaded guns. It's just easier to understand the other guy's point of view after he's let you crank a few rounds through his blaster. I'll be taking my Texas Star along, there are a couple of people who want to try it with their lever action cowboy guns.

My beef isn't with the cowboys themselves, just that I didn't have a clue they are taking weekday practice days from me. (I was going to practice today and Friday.)

I have a lot of respect, envy, and jealousy of and for the cowboys. I got there this morning and there were three or four RVs and trailers in the parking lot. On the range there were five or six trucks and a bunch of guys putting together their stages, which looked great. (BTW, what's the SASS term for a course of fire?)

Meanwhile, our USPSA club hasn't held its Golden Gate Championship in four years because of burnout and lack of help. I'm dreading the task of rounding up sufficient volunteers for our section championship match.

I got them and class 3 guys and mine is 2hr 15 mins at 4500rpm one way.

I have to say the sas at my club do leave a bay or two for others to practice.

Now the class 3 guys on the other hand...................

or did i mention #6 shot coming down like rain <_<

I went out to the range to practice this morning and it was taken over by cowboy shooters setting up for a four-day event. Nothing in the club's schedule about the range being unavailable for practice. Just a 50 mile round trip in bay area traffic for nothing. :angry:

Careful Erik,

Uttering public criticisms got me booted out as a RO and I'm still getting the occasional anonymous hate email, all from variations of Hotshot**** from various yahoo or hotmail accounts.

Sam wrote: "and the maniacs like us that run with loaded guns. It's just easier to understand the other guy's point of view after he's let you crank a few rounds through his blaster."

Amen! The Cowboys have growth in their sport beyond our wildest dreams and they even had a favorable report on communist National Public Radio a few years back. Like us, they actually draw right from holsters without shooting their toes off and run with loaded guns! (something that would ordinarily scare the hell out of your average NPR listener - not to mention most Bullseye shooters, hunters, clay target shooters, benchrest guys - and yes, I have tried those sports). Action pistol shooters of all types should stick together.

It would piss me off if anybody - Cowboy or otherwise - took over my range unannounced. However, the way I see it, the Cowboys open people's eyes to action handgun sports in a non threatening manner. Folks are a lot more willing to consider allowing IDPA or IPSC at a club after they see the Cowboys put on a match without loss of life or limb. I may not choose to shoot cowboy, but I won't criticize it.