Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 650

Hey guys,

I am a new reloader and have been lurking for a couple of weeks.

I went out and got a 650. I have my first loads worked up and think I have my final recipe for .45

I have about 2000 primed, sized and ready to go. I have run into a problem that is absolutely driving me crazy. Crazy enough to be thinking, "If I have to stop and reset after every case, what is the point of a progressive?" Anyway, see below, I appreciate it.

So I raise the platform and a case falls out of the tube. I lower the platform, then raise it again, this time, the new case either falls over, or winds up too far back on the little guideway to complete the stroke and I damage the brass. it is happening so frequently that I am starting to chew up the bottom of the little swing arm.

This happens whether I go slow, fast, medium, smooth, jerky, doesn't matter. I am seriously getting pissed off. I didn;t spend this kind of cash to be pumming my hair out. Thanks again!!!

Edited by BrassMonkey

Check and make sure the plastic cam gizmo that pushes the swinging thing to drop the case is turned where the long slope is toward the swinging thing, the short cam side is the rifle side and won't work at all with pistol brass. Then make sure the cam gizmo isn't dropping the case until the ram is nearly fully up, it can be adjusted with the bolt through the side.

Sorry for all the technical terms, don't have time to look up schematics for proper descriptions but it will make sense if you are a little dense (like me) and look at the press with the descriptions in mind.

You sir are a genious. I was using the rifle side of the trianglular thing. I just loaded 500 without issue. Thank you so much...

Now if I could just figure out how to keep from losing a couple of granuled of powder when the filled case makes it to station 3. The shell plate kinda jumps a bit at the end of the indexing movement.

Thanks, now that I have you fooled into thinking I am reasonably intelligent.... :goof:

Clip one half of one coil off the spring under the detent ball that is under the shellplate. When that is done watch the operation to see when it is going to hit the rotation cam on the downstroke, be smooth through that area until the shellplate stops and it will go a lot better.

Last but not least on the powder thing --- use your left hand, the one holding the bullet, to grasp the case you need to set it on as the shellplate rotates into position. You can prevent the last bit of snap by guiding it into position --- and you need to get your hand there anyway to drop the head on....

....unless you've got a bullet feeder....

You said you had 2000 primed & sized & ready to go. May I ask why you are doing that before you start the loading? That sort of defeats the reasoning behind having a 650, doesn't it? I am just curious, I'm not tossing any stones your way or anything.

The 650 is an amazing loader, fully capable of loading 10s of thousands of rounds efficiently & accurately. I love both of mine!

MLM

If you promise not to laugh, I will tell you.

I had to wait a couple of days to shoot the loads I made before going into mass production. I couldn't wait to pull the handle, so I deprimed everything and just took out the decapping pin when I was ready to rock and roll a few days ago. I know, I know. Like a big kid I am...

Thanks all. This has helped alot. I am going full speed ahead now...