Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI, STI 126mm mags, is there a better pad than the dawson internation

steel1212

These things drive me nuts. If you don't have to take the mags apart they are great but for cleaning or anything else they are PITA. Does anybody make a aluminum one that had a spring retainer inside and maybe a pin upfront or something!!!

I plan to use my 9mm eagle for the pro am. These pads work but not if I need to clean them during the match. I really don't want to have to buy 4-5 SVI 140s just to shoot one match with.

If it has to fit the box then you are stuck with what you have or you can buy the SVI international pad. It comes in a plus 1 or plus 2 configuration and they use a small set screw that I personally dont use They work as well as the dawson and they may be competitively priced.

If it has to fit the box then you are stuck with what you have or you can buy the SVI international pad. It comes in a plus 1 or plus 2 configuration and they use a small set screw that I personally dont use They work as well as the dawson and they may be competitively priced.

Does the spring still go down into the pad and therefore becomes a PITA to get off?

Hello: You can always drill the Dawson wedge pads to fit the STI plastic keeper. Or you can buy the Shooters Connection 140mm base pads and mill them down. I also have some other base pads I milled down that fit the box. I will try to take some pics to show you what I mean. The stock STI base pads work as well. I like the older style with the slightly rounded base pad. Thanks, Eric

Does the spring still go down into the pad and therefore becomes a PITA to get off?

Unfortunately yes it does. Sorry. I drilled a 1/4 inch hole in the center of mine and use a plastic bottom and then it is like any other pad.

This is what I did to the Dawson International Pads to make them easier to take apart.

Edited to add details. These are Dawson International pads. I took off the anodizing around the number and left it on the sides. Drilled the pads for easier access to the springs with the tool I built from a screwdriver. I cut off the end of the screwdriver and put a notch in it to prevent it from slipping off the spring. I push the spring thorough the hole and then slide the base pad back, then take out the tool and the pad comes off.

All four of my 126mm mags hold 17 rounds and fit the IPSC box.

post-3253-1225937799_thumb.jpg

Edited by CenTX

:rolleyes:

You all can make a little tool out of a long skinny screwdriver= cut a "V" notch in the screw driver

end and it will work with mags pads with no insert, Just the slide the pad forward enough to use

the "V" notch to push the spring down and the pad will come right off. The one I use I made out

of long Nail with a notch in the end of it.

Jim/Pa

Sailors ;)