Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack Question for you guys.

zhunter

Someone throws a ball at me I throw my hands up. It's not a plan, it's a reflex programmed by my subconscious mind.

I put one foot in front of the other when walking, but I don't wake up in the morning and plan it.

When I have a misfire I "tap rack", but it's no longer a plan, it's a reflex.

When I chew something I swallow, I don't have to plan on that anymore either.

BUT every time I go to the toilet I plan to wipe. ;)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a lot in here isn't there? This thread could split off into about 3 topics and have enough meat to keep everyone scratching their heads for a while.

My answer to the question - in general because clearly it is situation specific - is I do the single load and shoot it out. There are many times where knowing I've got no extra shots actually helps me shoot better. It isn't ideal, but that's how the game is played.

The other topics explored feel like this idea around plans. Perfect plans. Perfect execution to the plan. Maybe mistake recovery? I don't know - it's a lot.

I can't say that I've ever planned on the possibility of screwing up. I would be lying if I claimed that I wasn't aware of implications of extra shots when round count was tight. So, if I'm in a situation where there's 10 shots in an array and I'm carrying 10 +1. And my slide lock doesn't work (I prefer it that way). Then I know if I take an extra shot then I've got to rack the slide. It isn't a big deal. It never has been. And the feeling of the slide closing on an empty gun would be a glaring reminder of my situation even if I didn't remember. But yes I would be aware. I wouldn't plan on it. But I would hate to penalize myself for doing something good (by making up a shot) and then causing more issues by not accounting for that possibility. I've been shooting a long time, I take extra shots. It's part of the game for me.

I'll also note my personality is one that nearly requires some play in the plan. I'm not the guy who knows precisely where his feet will be when entering this box. I don't work like that. I am more about building a little less robust plan that allows for a little play - and then executing at the best level I possibly can - consistently!

Mistakes are what this game is about. Not to the extent of absolution, but very nearly so. Even looking at the scores from the world shoot I can see that the game was a game of mistakes - though Eric looks to have shot pretty flawlessly.

It isn't that GM's or match winners or whatever don't screw up. They do. Just like Tiger screws up. And he's the best golfer in the world. There are things that they do that help make up for mistakes. Speed for instance. Generally a GM is a faster shooter than a A, B, or C shooter. So that helps mitigate something like a miss. They make less mistakes. They have experience. But, again like Tiger, when they make a mistake they do a damn good job of recovering. The caveat is that all the best shooters are all pretty damn good at recovering - so you gotta minimize those mistakes.

The very best match I've ever shot I had a FTE and two misses on a target. First stage. I shot pretty awesome after that. Hey - and now that I think about it that was with a single stack at a match in CA against those new fangled double stack guns!!!!

The best executed match I've ever shot - I wasn't as aggressive. I was very calm, very relaxed - and I'd guess what I experienced is something very similar to what Eric G. Experiences regularly. You consistently perform at high levels for 5-6-10 stages and all the sudden you've got this huge ass lead. You don't really lay off then, but there's comfort and you know you're shooting well. So you back off a billionth of a percent so that the sight picture looks freakin' huge - and poof you shoot even better. And your off to the races.

I don't know if this is on topic or not. I've typed over 3 responses to this thread. It intrigues me.

I like it. Full of the good stuff!

J

I plan for contingencies all the time. I don't dwell on the negatives though.

Ironically, I didn't have a contingency for the first stage of a local this past weekend, and it cost me an extra reload...which I hit automatically and likely didn't lose much. But, I did do reload that I didn't need to do because I hadn't planned it out.

And, timely, a shooter just PM'ed me a bit ago about Stage 1 at the Area 8 this past year. Where all the 10+1 shooters had/choose to take two 25y poppers, two close paper...then leaving that position, take two more paper on the opposite berm (10 rounds). The contingency plan there was to hit a reload right after the first position if there was trouble on the steel.

I want to know who can "think" about doing an extra reload during a COF when the fastest way to run a stage is to run your plan. I'm not doing anything extra that I haven't programmed in unless I've already TOTALLY blew the run.

Ummm I can. The difference is I don't look at stages as a static non-changing thing. When I program the stage, I use that as a guide of how to shoot it. Staying in the moment and reacting to my senses has always seemed like a better idea than ignoring them and doing strictly what I memorized.

The contingency plan there was to hit a reload right after the first position if there was trouble on the steel.

For me thats almost a guarantee that I will need/do the reload. I find its better to just do those reloads when needed and not plan them in.

ah...I'm just getting cranky..rough week..and its only monday..

I still feel that if I shot to slide lock and was going to be behind in rounds, I would pop an extra reload to get ahead based on knowing what the target engagements for the rest of the COF. the best spot would be picked based on stage planning and prep, on how to back to my plan.

its not planning for failure, but a plan made from experience, knowledge of the COF and targets to come . a plan cannot be so rigid that the wheels come off when a bump occurs.

also basing my decision will be what do I need from the stage. Do I need a consistent finish, do I need a hero or zero performance.

anyway..great discussion with no right or wrong..

Edited by eerw

I don't think a running reload should cost a shooter 1.5 seconds. A standing reload on the next array, especially if you hadn't planned it in advance,will certainly cost 1.5 or more. if it didn't matter, then why "top off" at the start? Just my 2 cents....