Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 loads for M&P

werewolf45auto

I need to load some 40s for my 4'' M&P. I would like to hear what people are using and it would be a bonus for some load data using N320 and 175gr TC bullets. I have a load thats working great for my new para but I'm not sure how the OAL(shorter for M&P) will change my powder charge.

It takes me 45min to get to the range so it always takes me a while to get my loads just right and I need something that works and makes major quick.

thanks for any input

Not to be a tool, but there's tons of info here regarding 320. I did a cursory search and picked out bits and pieces that would probably be helpful. Sometimes you just have to get a shovel and dig B)

OTOH, I shoot an M&P .40 set up for Limited, and have a fairish idea of what runs and what doesn't in it. Post up your OAL and any other specifics, and we may be able to point you in the right direction. Have you tried chambering the ammo you created for the Para in the M&P? Chronoed it? Performed accuracy testing?

I'll track this post for a bit and help where I can.

Chris

Sorry if it seems like I don't always search things here. But the fact is I spend 10 times the amount of time reading on here than I do asking questions. I somtimes find things through searching and maybee don't write it down because I have no use for it at the time and when I need it I can't seem to find it. Somtimes I'm just not hitting those words right. I have read the shearch hints here.

And I thank you and everyone on here for always being more than helpful. I am not a knowledge fountain but I will aways help a fellow man or women in which ever way I can. Just don't ask me to help you spell anything LOL

So back to my loading. I bought all the stuff to load 40s a while ago and just now started loading them since I got my new Para. My Para loads will not even fit in my M&P mag. My M&P loves the bulk pack of 250rds form wally world and I(mostly my wife has put about 10 packs of that stuff through it at matchs before she got pregnant and It Chrono right at Major PF. My casting guy is running behind and I don't think I'm going to get my 45 bullets befor this weekend and don't want to fork the cash for factory 40 when I have a batch of bullets, brass, primers, and powder. I want to bring the OAL down to factory and just change my powder charge as this would be very quik since I'm pushing hitting the range to chrono this stuff befor this weekend. My two paper VihtaVuori don't have much on handgun loads and nothing for 175gr TC.

Maybee I'm trying to pull a rabit out of a hat I just don't want to miss one more match this year.

Thanks for any help you all have

Edited by werewolf45auto

For me, anything loaded at 1.160 or less will fit in the mags without a problem. I did have a couple of feed issues with 200gr TC lead loaded at 1.155, so I seated them a little deeper to 1.145 and they have fed with no problems.

I never did figure out a reliable length for the 170gr lead SWC-TC lead bullets I messed with, though.

But the fact is I spend 10 times the amount of time reading on here than I do asking questions. I somtimes find things through searching and maybee don't write it down because I have no use for it at the time and when I need it I can't seem to find it.

I copy and paste a lot. Copy an interesting tidbit and paste in in word. I may not use the information for several months BUT if I find a need for it I know where it is.

Edited by Beans

• 3 weeks later...

I had a about 1000 Rainier Plated 180gr FP bullets laying around and wanted to shoot them in my 40 S&W standard M&P.

I used 4.3 grs of W-231, Federal primers.

With a Caldwell Machine rest at about 25 yards, my M&P shot 20 rounds into slightly less that 2".

I started with 3.9 grs and worked up to 4.5 grs of W231. Most grouped at 3"-4", some as high a 6". But, my M&P really like that 4.3gr load of W231

Nice load that worked great on last weekends IDPA match.