Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Type of bullet with an AET barrel ?

TMFAKBFS

Hi guys,

I will get my SVI IMM Open .38Super anytime now, and before I get it I have one more question. I tried the search, and maybe somewhere in the 10 pages the answer is already written, but I coulnd't find.

I read on the SVI site :

Bullets for all Infinity compensated firearms should not have an exposed lead base.

Can anybody tel me why this is ? Cause I bought Fiocchi 123Grain FMJ, with offcourse an exposed base :unsure: I also have Frontier 124Grain FMJ, and they to have an exposed base. Here in The Netherlands is hard to find FMJ's with a none exposed base. So that's why i'm asking.

Also, can I use plated bullets for my AET barrel. For example these ?

Archipelago Bullets

The bullets are swaged from antimony hardened lead and then copper plated

with the highest quality copper available on the market. The end result is a

fully copper-enclosed bullet that does not smoke or emit lead vapour into

the air.

The core is bonded to the copper so there is no separation of the jacket

which results in a bullet that does not fragment upon impact.

To ensure uniformity, our bullets are swaged a second time (RE-STRIKE)

to ensure the tightest uniformity possible.

Or MUST I use FMJ ? Only problem with the FMJ's is that they have an exposed base. So please stear me the right way ;)

If I was living in America it was no problem to get all brands and types of bullets, but unfortunately it's a different story when you live here. Choice is limited.

By the way, I choose an AET barrel with 4 hybrid holes and comp. I will be using VV 3N38 and 3N37 to find the best load.

Thanks in advance !!!

Edited by TMFAKBFS

I am not an expert at this but I do have some experience with it so I will try to answer your question. Exposed lead bases can cause lead residue to build up in the comp and will require more detailed cleaning to remove. Plated bullets do tend to tumble sometimes from an AET barrel but it is not always the case. I have also noticed that plated bullets do not seem to be as accurate from an AET barrel, along with the tumbling. I have a friend who was using a special run of plated bullets that were triple dipped in his open gun and they were the most accurate projectile that I have ever seen. They actually measured .357 but didn't show any problems shooting through his barrel.

The first generation of IMM-Open pistol had 3 barrel chambers that were not easily accessable for cleaning. If lead or powder fouling accumulated in those chambers it could make the projectile unstable, or even obstruct the flight path, and potentially damage the comp. For this reason, the use of powders or projectiles that had the propensity built up a residue were discouraged. That design was later modified to exclude the aforementioned chambers and eliminate the potential for that problem. It is still a nuisance to clean the comp and barrel ports, so there is nothing wrong with their recommendation, but I do not think that it is a requirement, as it once was.

Edited by L9X25

Thanks for the replies.

I won't get the older barrel with the 3 chambers in it. My dealer in Germany told me that they aren't made anymore. Also it won't be gold coloured, just a silver one. Like these :

Barrels1.jpg

But then with 4 hybird ports.

So if I understand right, the exposed lead base is not recommended, because the lead build up will be more and it will happen faster. So good cleaning is necessary. Offcourse I will do that with this beauty, so that's no problem ;)

And with the plated bullets you just have to be lucky, that they won't tumble? Can anyone tell me why it can happen that plated bullets sometimes tumbel in AET barrels ? Is it because they don't have that hard jacket ? Or has it something to do with the gain-twist rifling ?

I will start with my FMJ's and just look very carefully for lead build up. And offcourse clean my gun ;)

Thanks for the replies.

I won't get the older barrel with the 3 chambers in it. My dealer in Germany told me that they aren't made anymore. Also it won't be gold coloured, just a silver one. Like these :

Barrels1.jpg

But then with 4 hybird ports.

So if I understand right, the exposed lead base is not recommended, because the lead build up will be more and it will happen faster. So good cleaning is necessary. Offcourse I will do that with this beauty, so that's no problem ;)

And with the plated bullets you just have to be lucky, that they won't tumble? Can anyone tell me why it can happen that plated bullets sometimes tumbel in AET barrels ? Is it because they don't have that hard jacket ? Or has it something to do with the gain-twist rifling ?

I will start with my FMJ's and just look very carefully for lead build up. And offcourse clean my gun ;)

At the speed we push open bullets, the plated bullets tend to shred the plating. It is not worth the difference in cost to use plated bullets in an open gun. Use jacketed cooper bullets. Montana Gold/Zero are excellent bullets. JMHO.

I read a lot about the Montana's and Zero's, but the only problem is that we can't get them here. I live in The Netherlands, Europe. The most common brands we have here are Fiocchi, Privi, Winchester, Berry, Frontier and a couple of others.

To give you a price indication.

1000 Fiocchi 123Grain FMJ = $120

1000 Privi 123 TMJ = $115

1000 Winchester 123 FMJ = $242

1000 Sierra 125 JHP = $255

1000 Frontier 124 Copperplated = $76

You see the difference ;)

I will start with the Fiocchi's and Frontier FMJ's I have, and maybe try a 100 copper plated to test. Buth I don't think i will buy Sierra JHP for that amount of money ;)

AET barrels have very thin and short lands. If projectiles are undersized, or soft, they can strip through the rifling and not stabilize.

Wil has often recommended that people shoot .356 (or even .357) projectiles to maximize accuracy and reduce barrel wear.

• 8 months later...

Anyone tried to shoot Speer 124 gr TMJ in his SV IMM ? Did you have any troubles ? (buildup, bullets do not fly very precise or tumble,...)

On their website, I read the lead core is completely encapsulated in pure copper (therefore no build up) and their new technology creates a true jacket... this is not very thin copper plated bullets...