Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

left handed glock shooter

ashman627

My good friend just bought a g34 from me and being left handed and using a low grip is struggling with his left thumb interfering with the mag release.Any suggestions?

Thanks

I am a left-handed shooter and I am having trouble picturing the problem. Both of his thumbs should be on the right side of the gun. Which means that they are on the opposite side of the mag release. I do not understand how any interference is possible. Perhaps your friend should adjust the grip.

Ah, I see. To be honest, he needs to change his grip. His thumbs shouldn't be exerting pressure on the side of the gun at all, that has zero benefits and several drawbacks. I hit the extended release (corners softened on the Limited gun) with the closest joint of my middle finger (where a ring would be) and this affords me the least amount of grip change, while being completely reliable. I don't favor the trigger finger or middle finger pushing the button with the fingertip, it seems too disruptive to the grip.

H.

I'm a lefty using a Glock 35 for USPSA Production. Tell him to use a higher grip and use his left index finger to hit the mag release . . . swap in a standard length mag release if needed (I did this so the sharp edges of the extended one wouldn't dig into my hand.)

I use my left index finger to hit the mag release on all the guns I shoot...Glock, Sig, 1911/2011, etc. It's been way faster than using my thumb to hit an ambi release on everything I've tried so far.

I'd only buy an ambi mag release if I were right handed.

I use my left index finger to hit the mag release on all the guns I shoot...Glock, Sig, 1911/2011, etc. It's been way faster than using my thumb to hit an ambi release on everything I've tried so far.

I'd only buy an ambi mag release if I were right handed.

I use my left middle finger. Aside from that I agree 100% - I think right handed mag releases actually work better for left-handed shooters than they do for right-handed shooters. When I got my Beretta CX4 Storm I had reversed the mag release for left-handed use. It lasted exactly one trip to the range, then it was back to the "right-handed" mode.

• 3 weeks later...

Is this cut-out what makes the ambi release on the 21SF work? I have seen the same cut-out on new 17 round 19mm mags. Maybe Glock will have an ambi relase for the 17/34 frame.

89px4ck.jpg

Edited by TMC

Is this cut-out what makes the ambi release on the 21SF work? I have seen the same cut-out on new 17 round 19mm mags. Maybe Glock will have an ambi relase for the 17/34 frame.

89px4ck.jpg

That one in the middle is for the ambi release on the 21SF. One would think Glock is planning on doing that to the rest of the line of guns seeing as those mags have been out like that for quite a while. But IIRC those mags have been out for the small frames for around a year give or take a bit....