Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rifle brass prep

DonT

I have a lot of .308 and .223 once fired brass that I need to prep. No military crimps. In the past, I've only done small batches at a time, 500-1000. I have a Dillon trimmer to trim cases and then would do all the other fun stuff by hand. Chamfer in/out, clean primer pocket and thats about as far as I take it.

I need to do several thousand of each and was wondering if there is an easier way. Is the RCBS all-in-one case prep thing-a-ma-jiggy worth a darn?

Is there anything else? Whats the best way for you? Any tips?

Thanks in advance :)

Giraud trimmer for case trimming. Works great! Once you have it setup right, its just like shapening a pencil. insert, apply some pressure and voila! you're done. Correct length and chamferred on the inside and out.

I send mine out to "Mountaineer Brass Preparation"

In the past they have provided great service.

This is what they offer and will prep 308, 30-06, and .223.

1. Tumbled to high polish

2. Sized to your specs (based on five or more fired cases from your rifle) and/or SAAMI specs.

3. Primer pockets cleaned

4. Flash hole deburred (all brass)

5. Trimmed to standard specifications

6. Case necks deburred and chamfered

7. Military crimp removed (swaged not cut)

8. Cases primed with primers of choice (guaranteed same lot).

9. Weighed and separated into same weight lots

10. Flash hole concentricity checked and any out of spec cases will be bagged and tagged separate. Flash hole concentricity is critical for 600-yard ammo

It's been over a year since i sent my last batch to them - I assume they are still taking ordedrs - If your interested lmk and I'll pass on contact info.

Thanks everyone for your replies :cheers:

Hoofy,

I like the drill press idea for chamfering and cleaning primer pockets. Never thought of that but it would sure save a lot of wrist turning. I'll be trying it. Yeah, interesting post number replying to this question :unsure::roflol:

yoshidaex,

I looked at the Giraud trimmer when I got the Dillon and I agree, it is the cadillac of the industry. I just don't do enough brass to justify the cost. The Dillon works perfectly for trimming. It would be nice if it would chamfer also but then it would probably cost the same as Giraud.

pmd,

This is good info and I will remember it for future. These guys sound like they do a much better job than I need. Plus I have my own primers. Even though I dislike brass prep, it is part of my hobby and I work cheap.

Thanks again for taking the time to help :)

Is this for 3 Gun or a bolt rifle?

You might do some tests, see if the chamfering and cleaning primer pockets help you at all.

For me (3 Gun distances), there wasn't any discernible difference.. and I just use the Dillon trimer, and I'm good.

Even if there is some difference, decide if it's significant enough.

• 4 months later...
I send mine out to "Mountaineer Brass Preparation"

In the past they have provided great service.

This is what they offer and will prep 308, 30-06, and .223.

1. Tumbled to high polish

2. Sized to your specs (based on five or more fired cases from your rifle) and/or SAAMI specs.

3. Primer pockets cleaned

4. Flash hole deburred (all brass)

5. Trimmed to standard specifications

6. Case necks deburred and chamfered

7. Military crimp removed (swaged not cut)

8. Cases primed with primers of choice (guaranteed same lot).

9. Weighed and separated into same weight lots

10. Flash hole concentricity checked and any out of spec cases will be bagged and tagged separate. Flash hole concentricity is critical for 600-yard ammo

It's been over a year since i sent my last batch to them - I assume they are still taking ordedrs - If your interested lmk and I'll pass on contact info.

Quick - if tardy - question. Do you load primed rifle brass into the Dillon casefeeder and just run them through the normal process. I use a 650 and I'm setting up to load .223. I have lots of primed brass and want to just run it through but thought I'd check if there was any concern about (1) loading them in the casefeeder and (2) having them drop down the tube. Thanks.

Old thread I'd forgot about...

It's all done. After careful consideration and weighing of all the options and opinions that y'all so graciously presented :cheers: , I sized, trimmed, and cleaned. That's all. It's ready to load :D

It was all free once fired federal and nothing will be shot past 200yds...good-n-uff