Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel Challenge Open Gun

JFlowers

I want to start shooting Steel Challenge, but I don't want to break the bank to start off with. I can easily start off with my USPSA Open Gun and loads, but thats shooting a 172pf load for a 125pf sport. So I see two easy options -

1) Shoot my gun with minor loads. Would I need to respring the gun? I don't get a lot of live range time so I need good advice from those here who run Steel Challenge.

2) Build a dedicated top end. I have most of the parts already, and I see this as the better long term solution, unless solution 1 works out unexpectedly great.

So whatever advice you can provide is appreciated.

Thanks!

Shoot your USPSA gun with reduced loads. You might need to put a lighter recoil spring in, but that can wait until you see if the gun cycles reliably with lighter loads or not.

Option 2 - you might as well just build a whole new gun - the cost difference between the two is very small, in the end, and you don't have to worry about wear induced by shooting one top end affecting the fit and function of the other.

Option 3 (not mentioned) - buy something like an STI Steelmaster... ;)

Until my dedicated steel gun gets done, what I've done in the past is switch my bullet weight, drop the charge a smidge and then put a different recoil spring in. I run 124's at 174pf. I just through in some 115's, drop my powder charge down (8.4 is normal; 7.5 is pretty good) and drop the 10# spring w/ Sprinco to an 8# spring and straight rod.

Rich

Dropping the bullet weight is a good trick , But I would say keep the powder load the same. get a feel for the gun just making transitions, splits don't mater with steel.

OR shoot Revolver its very cost - to fun efficient and it may help your trigger control with the Auto.

• 2 years later...

I use the same pistol. Shoot 38SC 115 grain major for USPSA 10# spring. Shoot 38SC 115 grain minor (pussy loads) with a 8# spring. Works well for me. Also for the same 38SC open pistol had a complete top end built in 9mm minor (not 9mm major). The 9mm minor is a comp'ed bushing commander length KKM match grade barrel with 8# spring. New stainless STI commander length slide was lightened quite a bit & lockup was slightly modified to allow for 170mm 29+1 mag use with the 8# spring, 2.5# trigger. Lower is TRI (when Vergil Tripp was making them before he sold to STI). Lower & top ends are hard chromed. Hard chroming will reduce wear & tear and add considerable longevity.