Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DA/SA question

taco101

A friend of mine is shooting the local club match with his Taurus PT-92. It can be shot DA/SA or SA only. He shoots in limited. At the last match, one of the guys told him that since the gun could be shot DA on the first shot, that it had to be shot DA on the first shot. If it is shot SA only the thumb safety would be used. What would the official ruling be?

A friend of mine is shooting the local club match with his Taurus PT-92. It can be shot DA/SA or SA only. He shoots in limited. At the last match, one of the guys told him that since the gun could be shot DA on the first shot, that it had to be shot DA on the first shot. If it is shot SA only the thumb safety would be used. What would the official ruling be?

If he is shooting limited and it has a thumb saftey, then it does not need to be shot DA for the first shot.

If he is shooting limited and it has a thumb saftey, then it does not need to be shot DA for the first shot.

Could you point me towards the rule?

Look under the division appendixes you'll find your answer there.

~John

There are a couple of rules involved.

First is Rule 8.1.2 which deals with the various handgun ready conditions for self-loading pistols. 8.1.2.1, 8.1.2.2, and 8.2.2.3 all address the conditions possibly applicable to that particular handgun. Which rule applies depends on the Division you are shooting and/or the start condition which may be specified in the WSB.

Second is any requirement specified for the Division you are shooting. In your case, Limited Division (Appendix D2), there are none. If you were to shoot Production Division, the handgun must start decocked at the start signal (see Appendix D4 Special Conditions). Regardless of that, nothing says you must fire the first shot DA.

That should cover it.

Thanks all.

Also, you can't shoot that gun in limited major... Limited minor if you want to rock cocked and locked. That is unless you think that gun will handle a major load then open major. :unsure:

There is a minimum caliber of .40 in limited for major ;)

Edited by JThompson

Thanks all.

Also, you can't shoot that gun in limited... Open minor if you want to rock cocked and locked. That is unless you think that gun will handle a major load. :unsure:

There is a minimum caliber of .40 in limited. ;)

That's if you want to shoot as Major.

From Appendix D2:

• 4 Minimum bullet caliber / cartridge case length .38 cal. / 9x19 mm (0.354” x 0.748”)
  • 5 Minimum bullet caliber for Major .40 cal. / 10mm (0.40”)

9mm Limited Minor is allowed.

Thanks all.

Also, you can't shoot that gun in limited... Open minor if you want to rock cocked and locked. That is unless you think that gun will handle a major load. :unsure:

There is a minimum caliber of .40 in limited. ;)

That's if you want to shoot as Major.

From Appendix D2:

• 4 Minimum bullet caliber / cartridge case length .38 cal. / 9x19 mm (0.354” x 0.748”)
  • 5 Minimum bullet caliber for Major .40 cal. / 10mm (0.40”)

9mm Limited Minor is allowed.

Ya. I corrected it after looking at what I typed. You quoted me before I corrected it. :P Look at the time stamps. :D

Edited by JThompson