Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

VVN320 Loads

ajbarr

I noticed a lot of posts about VVN320 for 40 caliber. Most people seem to be suggesting a load of around 5.0-5.4 grains for a 180 bullet to make major.

I looked at the VV 2008 reloading guide update and their suggestion for a Fiocchi 180 bullet is from 3.5 to 4.1.

This is much, much lower than what most people seem to be reloading with N320.

Can anyone give me some good advice on how much powder to use to make a round for 40 caliber. I am using 180 gr MG HPs and the gun is an Infinity with a 5 inch barrel. I have been using Titegroup but wanted to give the N320 a try.

Just want to see what people think before I make something that might be too hot.

Many thanks

In my experience with 320, you need about .2 to .3 more powder compared to TG for the same PF. I would take your TG load, make some test rounds starting at least .5 grains less of 320 and work your way up with a chrono.

Loading long for an STI/SVI gun takes more powder than the tables show for .40 at 1.120.

My load for my 5" STI with a KKM barrel is 5.0 VVN320 with a 180 g. JHP at 1.185.

Edited by Surge

Short version - for improved feeding in a 1911/2011 pattern gun, a lot of folks loading .40 for IPSC load much longer than the SAAMI specifications for OAL (1.135"), so with more space in the case, more powder is needed for the same pressure/velocity.

Make sure that the bbl for your gun has a leade (unrifled area of the barrel in front of the chamber that leads into the rifling) that will take the longer round. Wiser heads than mine say that if the bullet jams up against the rifling when chambered, you can end up with dangerously high pressures.

Each barrel is different, so you'll have to fine tune the load to your own gun. Start below the target powder charge by a few tenths, checking velocity and pressure sign as you go up. You absolutely will need a chrono.

Kevin

I noticed a lot of posts about VVN320 for 40 caliber. Most people seem to be suggesting a load of around 5.0-5.4 grains for a 180 bullet to make major.

I looked at the VV 2008 reloading guide update and their suggestion for a Fiocchi 180 bullet is from 3.5 to 4.1.

Can anyone give me some good advice on how much powder to use to make a round for 40 caliber. I am using 180 gr MG HPs and the gun is an Infinity with a 5 inch barrel. I have been using Titegroup but wanted to give the N320 a try.

Just want to see what people think before I make something that might be too hot.

Many thanks

You're looking at data for a lead bullet. Below is a representative sample for jacketed, this one from Sierra:

180 Sierra JHP Vihtavuori VV-N320

Starting load: 4.1 Grains - 850 FPS

Maximum load: 5.2 Grains - 1000 FPS

Many thanks

Al,

My STI major load is:

Montana Gold 180 gr.

OAL 1.180"

VV N320 5.1 gr.

Randy J

Edited by Joseph796